Petrol - prices, protests and panic

I don't know what would happen in UK if the government dropped the tax by a few pennies, but I know what happened when the State of Connecticut dropped its tax by 4 cents. The oil companies immediately put their price up 4 cents. I feel sure that would likely happen over there too.

Someday there'll be an alternative to the greedy, rapacious oil industry as a real alternative is found, but I doubt in my lifetime.

Originally posted by nick2

Eventually we will be able to dump the plutonium somewhere out of the way, like the moon :)

Not until they get rocketry into orbit pinned down to a fine art without the level of calamity faced on every current space shuttle expedition.

Still, I do see us all running round in electric cars 10-15 years from now, personally. If an amature mechanic can knock up a 50mph 100 mile range for $2000 using conventional batterys this year, then imagine what a big brand manufacturer will be able to make for £10K in 5 years. 75+mph and 200+ mile range no problem.

The alternatives to car transport in Sheffield, the buses, are private companies, and the less that people use them the less buses and routes there will be. So we know what to do, start using them more, and then there will be more of them.

I'm sorry to say that most car journeys in Sheffield could probably be replaced with either car sharing or getting the bus. It entirely bypasses the problem of busy roads, car parking and the shocking price of petrol. Perhaps that is the real, viable alternative to fuel protests.

I have to act Devil's Advocate and wonder how many people say 'bring it on' about fuel protestors and said that the G8 protestors were 'scum'?

Originally posted by em3978

Morrisons at Ecclesfield is still 92.9 for unleaded!!!!!

passed texaco at ecclesall road yesterday at 99.9...eekk!! glad i waited til ecclesfield!!!

How about us having a permanent thread here on the Forum that points members towards the least expensive gas in Sheffield.

You never know, petrol companies, garage owners, etc, might get worried that we'll all head in one direction to fill up. Wow! We might even start a price-cutting war.

Spartacus,

Already have a site running just for that (see sig). The problem is that it needs volunteers to email the prices 2/3 times a week, and this is where I am having problems.

On a side note the site did get a mention on Real Radio (Chris Jones) last night after I emailed him as they where asking people to text in the cheapest / dearest prices in the area. :)

Hi, Slimboyfat.

Yeah, I caught your site. Incidentally, I've just emailed you to update the Meadowhall Sainsbury garage. Thankfully it's still @ 94.9p

I'm not trying to steal your thunder it's just that some members might not know about your site. However, most members should be easily alerted to a permanent Forum thread on gas prices.

The object of both sites would be to kerb the greedy petrol companies who, in my opinion, are exploiting the current global position.

Last year BP, Shell, Esso, etc announced record profits. The reason given was that the profits had come about because of the, then, rising prices. I believe that their drive to beat that record is helping to force up today's oil prices.

Spartacus,

Wasn't trying to say you where "trying to steal my thunder", sorry if it came across that way.

Just trying to state a problem that might occur with a thread like that.

Thinking about it again I have come up with another potential problem is that people would have to trail through the last several pages to work out the cheapest prices.