Petrol - prices, protests and panic

Originally posted by nick2

Thats what I mean by excuses, "if it came close to my house" and "where your not packed in like sardines", in other words if it was like a car.

No offence, I just hear the same things from my mates all the times, together with "if it wasn't full of common people", "if it didn't smell", "if it didn't stop at every stop (?)"

That is so true. And its worse with buses. A friend of mine, a town planner, was telling me that psycologically people feel a sense of well being getting on a tram and feel that they improve the area in which they live. On the other hand, they feel buses do the opposite and people gain no pleasure using them.

I feel the best solution to transport is the trolleybus i.e. a bus powered by overhead lines. Much cheaper than trams - no tracks, can get round obstacles, v quiet, clean - no diesel fumes and can take a lot of passengers if they use those bendy buses.

And subsidise them!

I did say "no offense", no need to get your knickers in a twist.

Well I hear people always saying stop making excuses and use our substandard, pathetic excuse for public transport over my car, so it does get my Calvien Klines in a twist.

Apologies, I didn't notice the no offence until after my post :blush:

Originally posted by serapis

Also if the reasons why we are taxed so much was to try and slow consumption on Environmental reasons this is pap! The rise in air travel is seriously damaging the environment and some studies have shown this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3864099.stm

It appears the emissions from aircraft alone could undo the good work done to cut emissions from cars, power stations etc.

The Govt has already started introducing greater duties on air travel - there was anew tax brought in a couple fo years ago on this and you can get they will do more. As I've said though, it all takes time for the exchequer to plan what it is going to do and balance the books, so it's only a matter of time before another duty gets imposed on air travel.

The green issue is not just about emissions with traffic - it's also about space as our roads are filling up.

Originally posted by TimmyR

I feel the best solution to transport is the trolleybus i.e. a bus powered by overhead lines. Much cheaper than trams - no tracks, can get round obstacles, v quiet, clean - no diesel fumes and can take a lot of passengers if they use those bendy buses.

And subsidise them!

They have those in San Francisco.

I suppose it save tearing up the roads, and yes it's cleaner for the environment.

I'd support that and use it provided it was cost effective and enough of them run so you don't over crowd them.

We may not be overcrowded in our cars, but we are significantly overcrowded on the roads. Is it not better to reduce car usage and get everyone on larger, albeit crowded, green vehicles to shift them about. Theres too many of us to all be able to use individual vehicles. And of course this will get worse.

People would still find some excuse to drive though, even if the train to London was free and took 1 hour I know some people who would rather drive than set foot on "public transport".

it is also supply & demand, my wife elected to try the tram for 3 months last year as she was unable to drive,and abrely able to walk.during that time they had 3 accidents which meant i had to collect them from manor top on one occasion.(with no refund i'll add)

however, 'cos we are at the terminus she can always find a seat on the outward journey, it is still always packed & unpleasant by the time it reaches sheffield. on the return journey from west st, she has to stand all the way to Gleadless every day.again the journey is unpleasant & uncomfortable.

why should people have to pay for that type of treatment?

Originally posted by TimmyR

We may not be overcrowded in our cars, but we are significantly overcrowded on the roads. Is it not better to reduce car usage and get everyone on larger, albeit crowded, green vehicles to shift them about. Theres too many of us to all be able to use individual vehicles. And of course this will get worse.

but sat in a car you are in your own "comfort" zone & in control to a certain extent.

Originally posted by willman

on the return journey from west st, she has to stand all the way to Gleadless every day.again the journey is unpleasant & uncomfortable.

why should people have to pay for that type of treatment?

I don't know what time she's traveling then but I come back from the Cathedral to Park Grange (same line) and almost always get a seat, even in the "rush" hour.

I don't know what time she's traveling then but I come back from the Cathedral to Park Grange (same line) and almost always get a seat, even in the "rush" hour.

she travels 7.50 to west street and approx 17.10 every day, she still catches it now but not every day, but the outward journey is usually to UGC.

she absolutley hates using it, but not as much as buses.