Suggestions for a 100yr old birthday present

What can I buy a very good friend for her 100th birthday? Everyone will be sending flowers I suppose so I don't want to do that.

She is a lovely lady still lives at home has all her faculties and only needs a carer to come in once a day. Her eyesight and hearing are almost perfect. She has to watch what she eats so chocolate is out... I am at a complete loss so I hope someone here might have a suggestion!!

My grandad used to say 'if you haven't got it by the time you're 80 then you don't need it!' and I sort of agree with him. I'd suggest that you think more along the lines of an experience rather than something she can keep.

What sort of music does she like? Could you organise for a trip to a music concert or a day out to a museum or for a lovely lunch?

With presents it's often the things which take more thought and effort that are memorable; anyone can walk into a shop and pick up a gift without much effort, but it takes thought and care to choose an experience for someone.

She will get a telegraph from the queen won't she? That would chuff me if I was 100!

How about a really nice basket of fruit?

She will get a telegraph from the queen won't she? That would chuff me if I was 100!

How about a really nice silver frame so she'll be able to display the telegram .... or is it a card nowadays?

You could order an archive newspaper from the day she was born ....if you've got enough time .

How about a digital photo frame for something a bit different? You load up a selection of photos and you have the option to set a slideshow that changes throughout the day. As well as including the usual snaps, you could even take some photos of her favourite locations yourself to add a more personal touch.

Oooh yes- that reminds me. I'm not sure that they do get their card from the queen automatically these days. It's certainly worth checking out, but I seem to remember being told that someone has to apply for it rather than it being sent automatically now.

I had to apply for my grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary card from the queen and I have vague recollections of it from that.

an experience - take her for tea somewhere nice or what about a trip on the big wheel on fargate ? sounds daft i know xx

Oooh yes- that reminds me. I'm not sure that they do get their card from the queen automatically these days. It's certainly worth checking out, but I seem to remember being told that someone has to apply for it rather than it being sent automatically now.

You're right - it has to be requested - http://www.royal.gov.uk/HMTheQueen/Queenandanniversarymessages/Birthdaymessages.aspx

I'm surprised they don't send them automatically using Pension records.

I had to apply for my grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary card from the queen and I have vague recollections of it from that.

I just checked and you're right .

You have to apply for a birthday message now . Easiest way is to download the application form from http://www.royal.gov.uk and return it no sooner than 3 weeks before the celebration date .

Yeah get a newspaper from the day they were born, that's a cool present. They're pretty easy to get hold of online.