Why do so many Sheffield council houses go to priority?

Where are you both living right now?

hes all over with family and even slept in his car

i stayd at ma nans but thats only cuz shes on holiday i wont have anywere wen shes back i dont talk to my family .. part from my brother who stills lives with his mum

hes all over with family and even slept in his car

i stayd at ma nans but thats only cuz shes on holiday i wont have anywere wen shes back i dont talk to my family .. part from my brother who stills lives with his mum

That's your problem unfortunately. He may be accepted as being homeless, but he does have 'somewhere'. He should have 'some' priority if accepted as homeless. The same is for you. People like yourselves form what is commonly called the 'hidden homeless'.

Have you spoken to the homeless section at Howden House?

me and my wife have made 350 bids still no luck

Are you bidding sensibly? If you have no children, are you bidding on one and two bedroomed properties only? Are you bidding on flats and maisonettes - they usually go for less waiting time than houses. After all, its social housing, not an estate agents where you can choose what you buy.

That's your problem unfortunately. He may be accepted as being homeless, but he does have 'somewhere'. He should have 'some' priority if accepted as homeless. The same is for you. People like yourselves form what is commonly called the 'hidden homeless'.

Have you spoken to the homeless section at Howden House?

Even being accepted as homeless doesn't guarantee priority. Shelter has an online checker that can tell people what help and support they qualify for: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/downloads_and_tools/emergency_checker

Question 3 is the important bit in assessing priority on grounds of homelessness.

Even being accepted as homeless doesn't guarantee priority. Shelter has an online checker that can tell people what help and support they qualify for: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/downloads_and_tools/emergency_checker

Question 3 is the important bit in assessing priority on grounds of homelessness.

Indeed. I was in that position myself some time back. Even having priority doesn't necessarily help matters. Having priority, but being in a working family meant that any emergency accommodation would have to have been met by us, which was waaaaaaay out of our range. Certainly for general living.

Fair enough, the system is means-tested, after all. We got sorted in the end, but it was a struggle, and the outcome wasn't exactly the best, but it beat the hell out of kipping on the bole hills and the like (me, that is).

I think you'll find Ms Macbeth would come onto the thread to put folk straight with the truth!

MsMacbeth will merely state the truth wrt letting policy.

The fact is, there is a massive lack of housing. She acknowledges this too.

MsMacbeth will merely state the truth wrt letting policy.

The fact is, there is a massive lack of housing. She acknowledges this too.

I don't think anybody could possibly doubt that.

According to whom?

It happens, and it is happening more often.

It happens, and it is happening more often.

'It' has always happened. I still want to know to 'whom' ricgem refers, not to mention about 'whom'.

'It' has always happened. I still want to know to 'whom' ricgem refers, not to mention about 'whom'.
enough said you accept it happens my point exactly :hihi:

Indeed. I was in that position myself some time back. Even having priority doesn't necessarily help matters. Having priority, but being in a working family meant that any emergency accommodation would have to have been met by us, which was waaaaaaay out of our range. Certainly for general living.

Fair enough, the system is means-tested, after all. We got sorted in the end, but it was a struggle, and the outcome wasn't exactly the best, but it beat the hell out of kipping on the bole hills and the like (me, that is).

Or was it just that your face didn't fit?

When I was trying to help people like yourself it was soo frustrating. :( Another family in exactly the same housing situation but not in work could move into emergency accommodation all paid for by the benefits system. I have cried at the situations some folk have found themselves in. And the people who often seem to get the worst deal (in the short term) are those who have tried to help themselves.

Families like yours, with an earned income, are best off staying with friends and family whilst waiting for a property - but I know thats not always possible. I just hope your experience on Bole Hills wasn't in the depth of winter.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

Although the way housing benefit works means that you do get some benefit because the interim accommodation charges are so high. you have to pay a large contribution so it puts you on roughly the same level of income as income support.