Why do so many Sheffield council houses go to priority?

why so many council houses going to priority.

One reason is that Arbourthorne and Norfolk Park are ringfenced for priority for anyone being made homeless due to the demolition work currently taking place in Arbourthorne.

This demolition work will be the last such major Masterplan scheme in Sheffield, but is due to last a few more years yet though.

Im not sharing a house with anyone i dont no..

I'm not getting at you personally, but I've known a few people with this attitude - the same ones who moan that the council won't give them a flat.

Everyone I know has (and indeed, a lot still do) to live with sharers to be able to afford to move out at a young age. I would absolutely love to live in a flat on my own, but there's no way I'd be able to do it.

I'm sure if you, your boyfriend and your brother [if I've read it right] put the money together, you could find somewhere suitable privately, and get LHA towards the cost.

PS: The council take the attitude that if you are under 25 then you will only receive enough housing benefit to be able to afford pay for part of a house share. After 25, you'll receive LHA towards the cost of a 1 bed flat.

really hun i wouldnt consider taking a room in a shared house with what you call normal people.. I had to consider it during college... i went and looked and i ended up paying that to ma mum to stay in my bedroom while she still got benifits for me ,,

i don't mean to sound rude but unless you want to be sleeping on the streets you need to stop being so stuck up, your young and have no children to think of. theres loads of flat shares going along with studio flats. the council won't give you priority and you can't stop with family now you can either sleep in the car with ya fella or get a shared house get more waiting time built up or save a deposit for a flat or end up on the streets your choice.

by the way i spent 23 months living in a hostel with 13 other familys i didn't know i didn't do it because thats how i wanted to live i did it because it was better than being on the streets trust me i had 3 months sleeping on the streets as well!

i don't mean to sound rude but unless you want to be sleeping on the streets you need to stop being so stuck up, your young and have no children to think of. theres loads of flat shares going along with studio flats. the council won't give you priority and you can't stop with family now you can either sleep in the car with ya fella or get a shared house get more waiting time built up or save a deposit for a flat or end up on the streets your choice.

by the way i spent 23 months living in a hostel with 13 other familys i didn't know i didn't do it because thats how i wanted to live i did it because it was better than being on the streets trust me i had 3 months sleeping on the streets as well!

exactly what i was thinking.

PS: The council take the attitude that if you are under 25 then you will only receive enough housing benefit to be able to afford pay for part of a house share. After 25, you'll receive LHA towards the cost of a 1 bed flat.

To be fair, this isn't the Council's attitude. It's set in regulations that all local authorities are required to follow. it only applies to single U-25s living alone.

Even you might be able to get your left wing head around these two hard working peoples intentions, the mind boggles. :huh:

As far as I know social housing wasn’t provided to give people a deposit for a mortgage although I am sure those on the waiting list will see where you are coming from.

whos miss macbeth and ... face fits sounds about right too...

cant even get a house with kids nah days ...

Prioritys are them subjected to violence or ill people my grandad is disabled and it took them 5years to find him a bunglow...

That's terrible... My mum and dad have just been allocated a 2 bed disabled adapted house as my dad has cancer. They were given priority on the wed and were offered the property the following fri. It was the 1st one they had bid on since been made priority too!

They're just in the middle of selling their pub so are having it all decorated and hope to move in in nov!

That is a long time to have to wait? Did your granddad have priority or was he bidding on waiting time? :)

yes 90 a week ..

and i no not all are theives .. her stuff was locked away in her room they broke the door down took everything sold her jewlry and everything ... burnt her cloths ..

Im not sharing a house with anyone i dont no..

Id take a 1bed flat or masonette but im not intited to 1 .. Which i think is wrong Id go privert and quit my job get on JSA

Get more than what im getting now working my butt of and have nothing to show for it ..

Finding a landlord that will take DSS or even have the paitences for them to process it is hard enough

You are working, there are loads of house shares available and the majority of people are honest and like you they just need somewhere to live. The fact that you won't consider sharing a house is your problem, get over it. There is not enough social housing, rent a room in a shared house like millions of other people do and stop expecting the social to sort your life out.

You are working, there are loads of house shares available and the majority of people are honest and like you they just need somewhere to live. The fact that you won't consider sharing a house is your problem, get over it. There is not enough social housing, rent a room in a shared house like millions of other people do and stop expecting the social to sort your life out.

And on top of this, house sharing isn't a negative....lots of friends and family of mine have houseshared over the years, and when I think of the number of friends met through this route, its been a real positive actually.

My cousin now rents a room out in his own house and has done for 20 odd years....his daughters are now 16 and 18, and he's nearly always had someone renting his spare room. Half his social circle have come via this route.

It all depends on what kind of priority and the needs.

My mother was ill and we got priority quite quickly. We were offerd a house within 3 days of getting priority. Alot of people are picky and only want "certain areas". If your priority, you need to move quickly for certain reasons, when people say "I dont want to live in that area", well...its kind of 6 of one and half a dozen of the other..

House shareing is a great idea. Sure their may be some bad experiances.

I dont understand why people think living on "the dole" is so easy. Its a horrible thing to live on and horrible way to live. I was on it for 3 years because i was a fulltime carer for my mother. £84 a week. I cannot get a part time job because then i would have to pay rent, and to cover that would mean a full time job, which does not leave me enough time to care for my mother.

When you move house, always stick your name on the houseing register. Even if you dont move for 10 years, and you decide you want to move into a council flat, thats 10 years waiting time you have.

Their are alot of "first come first serve" properties on "sheffieldpropertyshop.com". Its a great website and you can see all new properties coming up, and first come first service listings..