Sexual harassment at work

Ask for a meeting and take someone you trust along with you. Tell him his behaviour is unacceptable and if it doesnt stop then youll have to take it further.

Again, it's a small company so there's nowhere further to take it.

Yeah maybe. If he was doing it via email or something, then she'd have hard evidence that couldn't really cause any other issues. But I'd be wary of recording people.

If there is no HR or other management you could speak to, solicitor is probably next best option.

Yeah, but if she gets the law involved it will make it difficult for her to find another job and she'll probably lose her reference as well. It's a catch 22 situation.

Get some advice with ACAS. I was in this situation in a previous job. I told one of the other managers and it made the whole situation worse. I ended up leaving because I couldn't bear working with him. I was made to feel like it was my fault that he was trying to force himself on me. Looking back I wish I had done something about it, but I was still very young and naive. I went for a job interview and I hadn't realised the manager of this new job was very good friends with my old boss and he told me I wouldn't be getting the job because of this!

Its ok to say to the OP she should confront him, but its a very scary position to be in. I wouldn't tell any other manager, I would definitely seek advice outside of the company you work for.

thankyou so much for everyones views and help. im sorry to hear this happens as much as people are saying it does on here. speaking out on here has made me realise just how much i really need to do something about it, and fast. as a couple of people have recommended, i will begin to keep a detailed account of everything that is happening. i will take the next couple of days while i am off to decide on my next step of action. i will check out some of the links you have all posted in the meantime as well. thankyou so much everyone for your help. if anyone else has any views or comments, please continue to post.... and i will let you all know what im going to do and keep you updated.

just for clarification on a few questions asked by people....

there are no other managers in the company, or anyone of higher ranking than the person i am talking about.

yes it is physical harrassment... groping etc, as well as verbal sexual comments

i have made it clear that i do not want it to happen. this is respected for maybe a couple of days, but then it starts again.

Again, it's a small company so there's nowhere further to take it.

Again???

Dont get shirty love.

When i said take it further i meant take legal action?

:rolleyes:

ok thanks for the feedback people, so sounds like is harrassment then, thanks for confirmation.

there was defenitly witnesses in the group meeting yes, and from what my sister told me 2 things stand out.

1 - she was the only one asked to remove clothing.

2 - she was the only one asked to do numerous bending down, the actual task was to get her boss's stuff of floor and out of bags onto table, however this was very odd as normally he would do himself or have own assistant.

aside from this she likes her job and gets on well with everyone else she works with.

there is a union there and she is a member. I didnt think of that.

If i was a lass and this happend to me, i'd be straight out that door, job or not.

iv had a few pm's asking what i decided to do after my origional post, so just to let people know, that due to my personal circumstances, i decided against involving any sort of 3rd party, and i made it super super clear to my boss that i did not appreciate any form of verbal or physical attention. in the meantime i have had a few interviews and i am just waiting to hear back from them. things at work settled down for a while but the first half of this week has been a pretty tough one, mentally for me. i am therefore now currently considering a couple of short term temporary alternatives while i am awaiting and continue searching for, something more permanent job-wise. i would just like to thank everyone again for their help and support in my origional post.

TWIGLET

Your reply is perhaps the most helpful!

I also strongly emphasise that if you are not in a union then by the end of the day sign yourself up, it is exactly in cases like these that bosses get away with murder, hence the need for workplace unionisation!

Also i have extensive experience of such cases if you require any further guidance/support please PM me.

Meanwhile join the union and keep accurate daily record and gather as much evidence as you can. I wish you the best

hi angel

you can join union as other posts

unite on barrow rd s9 is one of many unite 08456041399

will give advise and take any case

do you have anybody above the person harassing you?

if yes put it in writing to them

anything in writing has to be acted on .

make a copy and if sent via post make sure it recorded then you have tracking info

Edited by barts96

Hi bartz, no there is noone else above my boss, so this method is out I'm afraid!

angel my sister ended up doing something similiar, she didnt feel comfortable using the union for this issue as after all underwear straps falling down is not something you want others talking about.

she told my boss what she told me which is he is out of line in how he has acted and if he doesnt stop she will go to work wearing multiple layers of tops and keep her coat on. he just said ok and from what she has said since it has all calmed down. I told my sister she should try to not let her underwear strap fall down and show in the first place simply so the opportunity doesnt even show it self and now she doesnt wear any sleeveless or even short sleeved tops to work anymore so the strap is hidden. Although I said that to her I dont think she had any blame as she always immediatly tucks her strap back in when it comes of her shoulder. We are talking about maybe 1 second exposure when it happens.