Sexual harassment at work

Its worth pointing out that joining a Union wont strengthen your case. In my experience of knowing what other people have had in terms of support for a grievance case, they have not been much use - they may come into the grievance meeting and take notes, but thats all as they're just an observer. They aren't legal bods to advise you either.

Unions are better when it's a mass thing, where a case in numbers holds weight. The individual wont really gain anything from joining a union and nothing more than they could get form this forum in terms of advice on next steps. In fact, ACAS should be your first point of call for free, impartial advice and guidance.

Sorry to hear of your situation, I hope you find a solution very soon. Maybe your manager doesn't realise your feelings so you will have to put it to them somehow, whether you can tell them straight or write a sealed note expressing your feelings if you can't.

You must act as soon as you can as I am sure it affects everything so you need to clear this up now. If this does nothing then have a word with the CWU.

Probably not ideal but look for another job too as things could get icy and leaves you something to fall back on if it doesnt work out.

CWU? How do you think Ron will get involved in this? :huh:

who can you speak to if its your boss doing the harassing? im in a situation where i have a lot of financial committments, and i am worried about quitting my job incase i cant find another straight away. i am actively looking for alternative employment, but to no avail as yet.

please dont be hard on me, this is my first post and i dont feel confident enough as yet to speak to someone face to face, not even my close friends.

any advice is greatly appreciated.

Can't you talk to his line manager?

If you have a union, ask to speak confidentially to a union representative and get their advice before you approach Human Resources. They can advise you on the best course of action and attend meetings with you to ensure correct procedure is followed.

If she's not got a Union she should go to citizens advice pronto so that she knows her rights.

its a really small company, no HR, or union (that I know of).

Oh gawd, I was in the same situation when I worked for a small company too. Not with sexual harrassment but a whole lot of nasty behaviour went on.

It's difficult to get any kind of comeback in a small company because there's usually just one or two owners and their word is law, you don't have any HR department or union to back you up and there's sod all you can do about it in situations like this unless you quit your job.

Yeah maybe. If he was doing it via email or something, then she'd have hard evidence that couldn't really cause any other issues. But I'd be wary of recording people.

If there is no HR or other management you could speak to, solicitor is probably next best option.

Yeah, but if she gets the law involved it will make it difficult for her to find another job and she'll probably lose her reference as well. It's a catch 22 situation.

Get some advice with ACAS. I was in this situation in a previous job. I told one of the other managers and it made the whole situation worse. I ended up leaving because I couldn't bear working with him. I was made to feel like it was my fault that he was trying to force himself on me. Looking back I wish I had done something about it, but I was still very young and naive. I went for a job interview and I hadn't realised the manager of this new job was very good friends with my old boss and he told me I wouldn't be getting the job because of this!

Its ok to say to the OP she should confront him, but its a very scary position to be in. I wouldn't tell any other manager, I would definitely seek advice outside of the company you work for.

thankyou so much for everyones views and help. im sorry to hear this happens as much as people are saying it does on here. speaking out on here has made me realise just how much i really need to do something about it, and fast. as a couple of people have recommended, i will begin to keep a detailed account of everything that is happening. i will take the next couple of days while i am off to decide on my next step of action. i will check out some of the links you have all posted in the meantime as well. thankyou so much everyone for your help. if anyone else has any views or comments, please continue to post.... and i will let you all know what im going to do and keep you updated.

just for clarification on a few questions asked by people....

there are no other managers in the company, or anyone of higher ranking than the person i am talking about.

yes it is physical harrassment... groping etc, as well as verbal sexual comments

i have made it clear that i do not want it to happen. this is respected for maybe a couple of days, but then it starts again.