Dyslexia in the workplace

here we go ........ Meares-Irlen syndrome

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1259447/Tom-Heaffey-The-boy-blue-tinted-glasses-cured-Meares-Irlen-syndrome.html

Precision tints not only help sufferers to read but also reduce eye strain and headaches. They have been shown to help dyslexics, migraine and photosensitive epilepsy sufferers and some children with autism
Edited by Grandad.Malky

I think you need to approach the personnel dept and talk to them about your dyslexia officially, so that they have to take it seriously. You may possibly be eligible for funding to have some sessions from somewhere like Dyslexia Action, who I have worked for where the teachers will assess your particular areas of difficulty and help you find workable solutions to your particular problems. It sounds like the main element of your job is driving, delivering, punctuality etc; the accuracy of number matching is part of it but not the whole thing. I'm sure with some support you'll work out a way of getting round this.

I think you need to approach the personnel dept and talk to them about your dyslexia officially, so that they have to take it seriously. You may possibly be eligible for funding to have some sessions from somewhere like Dyslexia Action, who I have worked for where the teachers will assess your particular areas of difficulty and help you find workable solutions to your particular problems. It sounds like the main element of your job is driving, delivering, punctuality etc; the accuracy of number matching is part of it but not the whole thing. I'm sure with some support you'll work out a way of getting round this.

Dyslexia Action are a charity who charge for assessments & lessons. What's more, they don't come cheap. Give me 300 quid and I'll happily tell you that you are dyslexic and need lessons at 30 quid an hour.

Dyslexia Action are a charity who charge for assessments & lessons. What's more, they don't come cheap. Give me 300 quid and I'll happily tell you that you are dyslexic and need lessons at 30 quid an hour.

I doubt you're qualified to do that though and not many people are hence the cost of an assessment. Not sure what your point is?

I doubt you're qualified to do that though and not many people are hence the cost of an assessment. Not sure what your point is?

My point is that like any charity they need money, and if telling people that they are dyslexic is a way of getting it they will do just that. I've known DA make assessments of dyslexia (it's not a diagnosis because it isn't a disease) that Educational Psychologists have disputed.

My point is that like any charity they need money, and if telling people that they are dyslexic is a way of getting it they will do just that. I've known DA make assessments of dyslexia (it's not a diagnosis because it isn't a disease) that Educational Psychologists have disputed.

Two impartial educational psychologists could disagree with each other too, and often do. This is a difficulty with dyslexia, no two people with dyslexia will have the same symptoms, a diagnosis is based on the assessment of a range of intelligence scales, cognitive tests, phonological awareness screens, short-term memory tests, timed fast-mapping tests and the subjective experiences reported by the client. The assessor has to make a judgement from the available evidence and one psychologist's theory as to what makes the dyslexia category may be different to another. Many of the psychologists who work for them do so as consultants anyway, ie work for themselves.

Another thing is that people with dyslexia and others with non-specific literacy difficulties/short term memory problems/ organisational problems (ie simply bad at reading or spelling/ poor memory) would all benefit from the teaching offered at DA anyway, as lessons are tailored to an individual's need.

For the OP, the diagnosis is not important, he had that as a child; Dyslexia Action is one option to consider if funding for support is provided/available.

Want to share more about your particular gripe?