Dyslexia in the workplace

There is a place on South Road at Walkley that does dyslexia testing. Although you don't get an official "diagnosis" the report that they give you is usually enough to prove you suffer with dyslexia. I think the tests are about £80.

Your employer might pay for the cost of the test depending

on there procedure for helping disabled employees.

You can also have the colour sensitivity test done at spec savers in crystal peaks. This is about £20 and will tell you

what colour paper / acetate might help you.

If you get a dyslexia test done and you have dyslexia the governments access to work scheme may also be able to help. The scheme can provide equipment for people with various disabilities to help them into work or keep work.

When I was a child I was diagnosed with Dyslexia. 30 years later I am having problems at work.

I deliver drugs to chemists and doctors and have a long list of invoice numbers that I have to check against what I have put on my van.

I use a highlighter pen to do this.

The problem is that I simply do not see the invoice numbers that I have not marked.

I am constantly having disciplinary for this.

I have told them what I think the problem is but they wont listen. They just think I am rushing and doing a sloppy job.

“ITS NOT DYSLEXIA, THEY ARE NUMBERS NOT WORDS”

I simply do not sea them.

I cant use word like:

There

Their

Witch

Whitch

Been

Bean

See

Sea

etc etc

I have to spell check everything and then use thesaurus to make sure.

I like to reed but I occasional reed the same line in my book 2 or 3 times.

Is it enough for me to tell them or should I get a note from the Doctor.

All the management where I work seem to be bloody experts on this

Does any one else suffer with this problem?

I am thinking of going down the line of disabilities act!

http://www.dyslexia.com/library/symptoms.htm

Rant over

Did you tell them about your dyslexia before you started the job? If not, I think you would struggle with this.

If the job specifies that you have to be able to manage the invoicing process and your disability (I hate this word!) does not allow you to do the job, they could well be within their rights to let you go.

Like others have said, you need to get professional advice.

BTW...confusing there with their etc is not dyslexia...writing takes practice, the more you do it; the better you get at it (the correct use of semi colons always used to throw me!)

No not at all; just lack of practice...I used to be a terrible writer and speller, but as I have spent much of my adult life writing emails, writing proposals, writing marketing brochures, writing computer code etc, you learn from your mistakes; like I say, semi colons always used to throw me :)

I still, sometimes, use there when I mean they're (and the other way round!)

Now what about colour blindness...I can tell a red from a green but I'm damnded if I can do the red/green chinese number puzzles (my kids find it funny that I cannot see the numbers they can :))

Edited by steveroberts

The OP says he was diagnosed as a kid, so if that was from a GP or other qualified physician then we have to assume dyslexia doesn't disappear in time (that I know of) you just learn to cope better with it.

Steve's point is very valid where the job is concerned. The application / interview should have asked about any disabilities and OP should have made them aware of this. How long have you been in this job? If they are aware of your diability how did they and you say you would cope on the job?

Big companies are very unsympathetic to personal problems as they can easily get hold of another worker. If you are a small company and a key worker then you could ask for the forms to be changed slightly.

Any form can be altered to suit its users including using a laser colour printer for specifically highlighting areas that are required. It depends on costs if the mistakes would be more expensive than a colour laser printer upgrade and a quick page change.

Dyslexia and colour blindness often make people feel they shouldn't apply for jobs as they dont want the usual story of not acceptable for this role. It should be compulsory for employers to add to job adverts that dyslexic and colour blind people can or cannot apply.

A very good friend of mine owns a company that helps children and adults with dyslexia and other word and number related problems. I have seen improvement statistics and they are very impressive!

They are the White Rose Dyslexia Centre on Ecclesall Road. Give Vicky or Jess a call 0114 2096264 and they will be able to help you overcome this issue

Dyslexics can usually read better from blue paper.

And I read better from red and white striped paper with the backpage of Sun Sport on the reverse.

Seriously, what are the implications for employers? Do they have to make these allowances? We are all different and different adjustments make things easier for us. But surely you cannot expect an employer to make every single concession.