Please help with computer. Virus?

canz

1 I'm only going through first steps from a distance with the only info I have.

2 I still think its possible to worsen matters by not following restore properly.

3 People on here are saying what it is and not saying how to cure it without it costing a bunch of money.

4 I hope someone will post a result if and when the system comes up again.

I am a retired pro going back to when RAM was called Core, and still fixing them in my spare time.

1 As is everyone who answers and with the same Information

2 No one I have ever heard from has done any harm by using system restore

3 Like yourself all people can do at the moment is offer suggestions and AFAIK no one has said anything that costs

4 You will find on here not many people even say Thank You

1 As is everyone who answers and with the same Information

2 No one I have ever heard from has done any harm by using system restore

3 Like yourself all people can do at the moment is offer suggestions and AFAIK no one has said anything that costs

4 You will find on here not many people even say Thank You

I know one person who has,,,,,,,,,,me! I went into a restore with the hated Vista and had forgotten to assign a restore date. Luckily I had everything backedf up on a 500gig external drive. It took a while, but I had my trusty Toshiba laptop available on windows 7

I know one person who has,,,,,,,,,,me! I went into a restore with the hated Vista and had forgotten to assign a restore date. Luckily I had everything backedf up on a 500gig external drive. It took a while, but I had my trusty Toshiba laptop available on windows 7

So it was through your own ineptitude by failing to 'assign a restore date' that makes it bad to use System Restore

I on my PC's (3) never use it but for others who are not as 'capable' as I am they would (& do) find it very useful

So it was through your own ineptitude by failing to 'assign a restore date' that makes it bad to use System Restore

I on my PC's (3) never use it but for others who are not as 'capable' as I am they would (& do) find it very useful

I've turned it off on all the boxes I use/secure.

A proper drive image is the best option, I feel.:)

Im not good with computers so please try and be patient with me. Ok iv recently within the hour just got these 2 symbols come up on my tool bar at the bottom where time is one is a small blue sheild type and the other a red with a white cross through and when i hover mouse above it says 5964909 , when i hover mouse over them both. and it keep poppin up with window saying somethin about viruses detected and that if i click on this button to solve it , it will fix all the problems so i did but then its sayin 1 years protection and then a price so baisically wanting money. So i gather this is some sort of scam but what i want to know is , is this a real thing and do i have 40 infections like it says or is it somethin that got on my computer and just trying to scam me? how can i fix it? please help me i have msn and a webcam to show the problem if it helps

What you are describing is a nasty piece of malware that I have had the unfortunate pleasure of removing a number of times.

Remember: Following these instructions are at your own risk!

Here is what you need to do:

1.) Download ccleaner here: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download (this is free software), install it but don't run it yet.

2.) Download AML registry cleaner here: http://www.amltools.com/(this is also free) install it but don't run it yet.

3.) Start your computer in safe mode. To do this, press the start button on the computer and then keep pressing the F8 key on your keyboard until you see some white writing on a black screen with different boot up options.

4.) You should see different boot option: Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with command prompt etc.

5.) Use the arrow keys on your keyboard to move up to the top option: Safe Mode.

6.) Once you've chosen Safe Mode, press the Enter key on the keyboard and you will see a lot of white writing appear on your computer screen and your computer will start to boot into Safe Mode.

7.) You will receive a message saying the the computer is working in Safe Mode, click OK or Yes to accept it and you will see your computer desktop appear. Please note: the colour of your desktop will be different to what you are used to and the icons may be bigger.

8.) Double click on CCleaner icon on the desktop or go to START > Programs > Ccleaner.

9.) When the Ccleaner program opens, look in bottom right of the screen and click: Run Cleaner, you will get a warning message saying something like: Doing this will delete files on your computer(note: this will delete all the waste file and rubbish on your computer).

10.) When it has done, close the program.

11.) Next run the AML Registry cleaner by double clicking the desktop icon or choosing it from the programs list.

12.) When it opens, you will see a message asking your create a backup of the registry (create a back up if you can, sometime it doesn't work on Vista or Windows7) Close the backup window.

13.) Click the Scan button to start a registry scan.

14.) When it is done, click the Fix All button to fix invalid registry entries.

15.) Close the AML program and reboot the computer.

Your computer will start as normal and hopefully the problem will be solved and your computer will probably be a little faster.

Sorry, but what you propose in post #20 won't even put a dent in it.

Oh yes it will! I have come across this type of virus/malware many times. It usually first happens when you are browsing the internet. If you where to immediately do a hard reboot the problem would not appear providing you dont revisit the website you were on, or any other infected webiste that has the infection.

If however you click on the item to delete the threats that it says its found it actually downloads on to the computer which makes it harder to get rid off.

The only problem with this method is that, if you have different user accounts on your system you would have to repeat the action on each profile.

Everynow and again you have to delete the start file for the malware in the config files but for the most part it is successful.

Oh yes it will! I have come across this type of virus/malware many times. .
As have I, in fact I have a fresh installer for one of these rogues on my desktop right now, as of half an hour ago.

It refuses to run sanboxed though.

If you where to immediately do a hard reboot the problem would not appear providing you dont revisit the website you were on, or any other infected webiste that has the infection.
Ah - You are referring to the initial scan page and assuming the malware didn't succeed in installing. Utilising Task Manager to close the browser and other windows will suffice without doing a hard reboot.

If however you click on the item to delete the threats that it says its found it actually downloads on to the computer which makes it harder to get rid off.
Clicking on anything will download and install the malware - download, cancel, the red/white X... If vulnerabilities exist within the browser or third party plug-ins (Java, Adobe flash/Reader etc) the malware may exploit these to force the download and installation, requiring no user interaction at all.

In the OP's case the malware has definately installed - Which is why I correctly said your instructions wouldn't put a dent in it. :)