Stupid Sheffield Police Story - Sheffield Star 20.8.10

Considering SY Police are asking on here what policing policies should be in South Yorkshire I thought I might draw people's attention to a story from yesterday's Star.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/headlines/Public-enemy.6485368.jp

Apparently there's been a spate of break ins in the area which locals are fed up with, I live close by and have heard no warnings via the police. Shopkeepers and locals also say they've been plagued by youths for months.

Somebody's got fed up and posted a picture of the alleged culprit and warnings round the area (Commonside).

Despite the police apparently doing the sum total of FA about this they've decided to appeal through the paper for the poster maker to be caught and information about them sent to them and they are stressing that they 're 'treating this matter seriously and we are making enquiries to identify whoever is responsible for distributing the posters'.

Considering if your house is burgled most of the time the best you can hope for is a crime number and they don't even bother coming out doesn't it stick in your throat that these posters have gone up, nobody's actually been physically harmed or lost out financially as a result but the police are making appeals through the paper for the culprit to be caught and are taking it 'very seriously'.

Now I don't condone what the poster maker did or anybody taking the law into their own hands as a result but it makes me absolutely boiling mad the police appear to do sod all to help or protect law abiding citizens against this kind of crime but as soon as some toerags 'human rights' are breached they're out there bleating to the press and demanding information from the public. It's unlikely that the local community will take the law into their own hands because they probably would have done already if that was the case.

They're saying that 11 more incidents have happened recently than normal but the fact that there's only slightly more and it includes seasonal adjustments doesn't mean that the ones that are happening are right and that the perpetrators are carrying on a legitimate business.

Worst thing is whoever made these posters is going to probably end up with a court case and criminal record whereas whoever this toerag is probably going to end up with victims compensation.

Sorry, rant over but this is policing turned on it's head and is just plain stupid. If the police were out there looking for burglars and muggers with the same gusto, fine. But they're not. They're sitting outside Morrison's in Hillsborough eating pies in their squad cars.

Yep victims are now offenders and offenders victims... funny old world isn't it?

Very true - except the police are actually eating sandwiches at Tesco on Infirmary Road.

There have been a couple of attacks on a known drug dealers house near where I live. Rumour has it people get burgled, their possessions end up at his house, and some have retaliated. So some insurance companies don't quote for our street or the quotes go sky high, while he gets police protection.

It's a cracker that. Let's put resources into finding the bad, bad person that put the posters up but leave the little darling who is breaking into peoples houses alone. Bless him.

Very true - except the police are actually eating sandwiches at Tesco on Infirmary Road.

There have been a couple of attacks on a known drug dealers house near where I live. Rumour has it people get burgled, their possessions end up at his house, and some have retaliated. So some insurance companies don't quote for our street or the quotes go sky high, while he gets police protection.

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest!

It's a cracker that. Let's put resources into finding the bad, bad person that put the posters up but leave the little darling who is breaking into peoples houses alone. Bless him.

This is the 2010 version of the parable of the Good Samaritan.

'' Oh no, we must do something to help the person who did this to you''.

Pathetic.

Police should be putting more resources into this. Get another 5 Evos up to commonside as i heard these cars act as a deterrent. Poster makers should be flogged :D

excellent hope the little scrote gets a good kickin

To be fair the police probably know who's doing all the burglaries and the lad mentioned has probably been arrested numerous times. However due inadequate sentencing by the courts he will have got a slap on the wrist and told not to do it again. What kind of a deterrent is that. Bring back National Service for the little darlings!!!

Great story, when will the useless Police realise that people will 'take the law into thier own hands' when they do sweet FA about crime.

The alleged! Surely that's the problem here. Does anyone have absolute proof this child is the thief? Have they given a statement to that effect? I thought in this countryit was innocent til proven guilty? If posters suddenly appeared picturing the OP as an offender with no evidence to back it up, would that be OK?