How much would you pay to live in Parkhill?

How much?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. How much?

• I wouldn't, or less than £1
    • £1 - £9999
    • £10k - £25k
    • £25k- £50k
    • £50k - £75k
    • £75k - £100k
    • £100k - £200k
    • £200k - £500k
    • £500k - £999.999k
    • £1 million +

In my opinion, and I'm certain I may get slated for it, I believe that the government, councils and local authorities have the duty to ensure that all dwellings are safe, habitable and fit for purpose. Allowing people to knock up their own abodes is only asking for trouble.

If people want to live on land, they can: they can buy it

If people want to build dwelling, they can; planning permission and rules control its safety.

The government don't have the duty to provide houses for everyone (We survived before they did didn't we?). There are a small scale of citizens who will accept whatever the minimum provision is. These people live with the understanding that they can do what they want, breed how they like and the great UK safety net will always catch them. Direct your anger at the useless breeders who take up useful homes, food and air that could better benefit those who deserve government provisions.

I suggest that the people who want this land grab, slum build, free live lifestyle, like you do, claim some form of asylum elsewhere (Africa perhaps) where that kind of behavior would be tolerated. I'd predict that given 6 months they would be prepared to breed less, work harder and embrace the civilised society within which we live and run back to Britain like scared children with very little to say about the overall quality of the free housing provided to them and benefits they receive.

Anyway,

In answer to the OP.

I dont think 90k is a bad price at all.

A newly renovated development with just a stones throw away from the city centre and the station. Park Hill, I suspect, will also have a bonus of larger rooms in the flats becuase generally older developments are far more generous than the usual shoebox apartments they throw up these days.

Im sure the new security and facilities when they are built will make a vast difference to the area. Although, I never felt unsafe walking around there anyway. Some people talk about it like its the middle of Baghdad or something. :roll:

Amen!

And I think the key issue here is that the government hasn't just chucked this development up and expected people to live in it, this development is in the private sector and to that end people must now choose to live in it...and they will! Like you say Ecco, for £90k you get more space, the same amenities, good views and a city central location as you would do if you were a stones-throw away and £220k poorer for buying one of the City Lofts developments, all they have is conran kitchens and bathrooms.

There is no ladder.

Everyone should have a right to a home, if the state will not provide affordable housing, then people have the natural right to seize land and build their own, be it slum housing, or relatively nice housing.

As it stands, people are being farmed for rent, particularly amongst my generation, and enough is enough. We can't access council housing, we can't afford private housing due to it being overpriced (the prices being kept high by government interference).

We have no job security, no security of tenure. I'm not so fussed about property ownership, as all a man needs is the ability to place a roof over his and his families head for the duration of his life, landed property is a scam, a deceit, a robbery of the people.

Park hill sums up all that is wrong with housing policy in the UK.

This building of 1000 dwellings was built for £2million but 50 years ago, for the people to replace the slum housing. It was built in a manner in which communities were kept together.

Today it has been given away to the private sector with many millions of taxpayers money to help them stick on a bit of cheap cladding, and then sell it on for private profit. Communities have been split up, the building is only there to make profit, not to provide housing for the people.

The building should be destroyed, because what it now represents is sickening. It would be better if it were replaced with slums.

Where will the people of this city live, this was once housing for the poor. It will still be housing for the poor, but housing benefit shall be paid unto private landlords. And the poor kept in poverty.

No wonder this country is in such a state.

Property owning democracy, don't make me laugh.

Seizing land and building their own housing, don't make Me laugh. :shakes:

A young friend is married to a farmer's son. They tried for years to get planning permission to build a house to live in on the working farm (owned by his parents), and were constantly refused. His parents are too old to run the farm on their own, but still live on it and do some of the work. There is no housing for rent within miles. The son and his wife have had to compromise and build a small extension to the main farmhouse. Not at all what they had hoped for but that's life.

Back to Parkhill - it was built as housing for working people, as part of a slum clearance programme, and was a vast improvement on previous living conditions for many. However, when people began to realise that Sheffield/S Yorks was a relatively cheap place to buy a home, the attraction of Parkhill and other social housing estates declined. The demand dwindled, and in the early 2000's some flats in Parkhill were being used by the government to house asylum seekers. That brought in some much needed rent, as many of the 'poor' didn't want to live there.

I don't know how old 'your generation' is, but if you'd been a council tenant at Parkhill you'd have had the choice of moving to another council property (moving costs and other expenses paid) when it was taken over by Urban Splash. The history of social housing regularly shows winners and losers! ;)

I can see youngish professional people liking these flats. They are ideally placed for rail commuters and people who work in the city centre. They are fairly spacious, and if all the planned services do come to fruition, then it could be an interesting place to live. Horses for courses and all that.

When a 1 bed flat is priced at £90k, I cant see many wanting to live there. Surely a professional would be looking to buy in a place like Dore, a house with a garden y'know.

£90k is a hell of a lot of 2011 £. People would need an income of £30k. If I was in the top 20% of earners for Sheffield I would not aspire to parkhill. Even the people on benefits whom could live there for were turning it down! (Not that they would now we have a shortage of housing).

However, when people began to realise that Sheffield/S Yorks was a relatively cheap place to buy a home, the attraction of Parkhill and other social housing estates declined.

All down to market forces was it?

I wonder why those stuck living there called it San Quentin? Perhaps it was mere coincidence that it was a suicide hotspot?

You have a uniquely selective view of the history of Park Hill flats.

All down to market forces was it?

I wonder why those stuck living there called it San Quentin? Perhaps it was mere coincidence that it was a suicide hotspot?

You have a uniquely selective view of the history of Park Hill flats.

No, just partly. Although people accepted flats as reasonable places to bring up children back in the 70s, aspirations changed, and as families moved out, they were replaced by more single tenants, of which there has been a big increase over the last 30 + years. More family breakdown, couples living separately (only those on benefits or the very rich have that choice!), and 'care in the community' has led to many areas of social housing being concentrations of low income households, which have brought their own problems.

There is no one explanation why standards in Parkhill and other similar estates declined, there are lots of reasons.

£90k isn't bad, but those bare concrete walls look hideous.

Also I'm not sure why people are moaning about handing it over to the private sector. It was a public housing estate and the morons who lived there pretty much destroyed their own facilities.

Everyone isn't "entitled to their own home", it's something that is earned.

How fair is it that I work my arse off for 10 years to save for a deposit, to then incur £120,000 worth of debt when some brain dead chav can move into something just as big for free?

• 2 weeks later...