Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's on The Moor

That big issue seller at waitrose obviously has a second job, he drives one of waitrose's customers around in their Audi. She's too posh to drive it herself.

taken from the big issue website

The Big Issue exists to offer homeless and vulnerably housed people the opportunity to earn a legitimate income. We produce a weekly entertainment and current affairs magazine which vendors buy from us for 85p and sell to the public for £1.70, keeping 85p for themselves. Vendors must adhere to a code of conduct whilst selling the magazine.

We believe in offering ‘a hand up, not a hand out’, but we also recognise that earning an income is the first step on the journey away from homelessness. The Big Issue Foundation is a registered charity which exists to link vendors with the vital support which will help them address the issues which have led to their homelessness. The Foundation works exclusively with vendors, offering support, advice and referrals.

http://www.bigissue.com/downloads/user/code_of_conduct.pdf

The Big Issue exists to offer homeless and vulnerably housed people the opportunity to earn a legitimate income by selling a magazine to the general public. We believe in offering ‘a hand up, not a hand out’ and in enabling individuals to take control of their lives.

In order to become a Big Issue vendor an individual must prove that they are homeless or vulnerably housed, undergo an induction process and sign up to the code of conduct. Once they have done so they are allocated a fixed pitch and issued with 5 free copies of the magazine (or 10 in London). Once they have sold these magazines they can purchase further copies, which they buy for 85p and sell for £1.70, thereby making 85p per copy.

Vendors are not employed by The Big Issue, and we do not reimburse them for magazine which they fail to sell, hence each individual must manage their sales and finances carefully. These skills, along with the confidence and self-esteem they build through selling the magazine, are crucial in helping homeless people reintegrate into mainstream society.

And we don’t stop there. We recognise that earning an income is first step on the journey away from homelessness, and that a variety of issues may have contributed to an individual becoming homeless. The Big Issue Foundation, a registered charity, exists to link vendors with the vital support and services which will help them address these issues and fulfill their potential.

We work exclusively with vendors, offering advice and referrals in four keys areas; housing, health, financial independence and aspirations. Our definition of success is people making positive life changes.

The Foundation is committed to providing this crucial support in all the areas in which the magazine is sold. We rely almost entirely on voluntary donations and receive minimum support from statutory and government funding hence the need for your support. Without the generosity of individual donors and charitable trusts we simply would not exist.

This guy never washes his Porsche, wonder why he makes an effort outside Sainsburys :/

Just enough for some white lightening and twenty rollups then.

..he does not look like a drug addict, if anything he might smoke, but ive not seen him smoke or drink, he is always polite and reasonable

So we have opinion 1) Homeless people - Bloody wasters..just sit around getting drunk, dodging soap and jacking up - lazy good for nothings should smarten themselves up

Opinion 2) Have you seen the homeless bloke who has a shower, and isn't drunk? How dare he look after himself and be presentable! Should start getting wasted and letting himself go like a proper homeless person.

How are we supposed to reinforce stereotypes when people won't conform to them?

Edited by Squiggs

Maybe Ben******** is in love and he's just shy.

Give the person a break...

Well if he was just unemployed? Or maybe in this country illegally? Do the big issue carry out right to work checks before adding people to their vendor list? Do they continually monitor people to MAKE SURE they are STILL homeless?

If he does live in a hostel and can look presentable and is polite etc... as i see him, then he should be a good candidate for a real job. Even if its in a take away or something. To be selling the big issue for over a year must mean hes doing something wrong. He could be working.

yeh,he's do in it cause the money's so good..not!! so whot is he doin wrong. morse??

Well if he was just unemployed? Or maybe in this country illegally? Do the big issue carry out right to work checks before adding people to their vendor list? Do they continually monitor people to MAKE SURE they are STILL homeless?

If he does live in a hostel and can look presentable and is polite etc... as i see him, then he should be a good candidate for a real job. Even if its in a take away or something. To be selling the big issue for over a year must mean hes doing something wrong. He could be working.

The big issue check peoples right to stay employed by them regularly - they only allow those who are homeless to sell, and that includes living in a hostel where you can bathe and sort your clothes out (if you wish to, and obviously this guy has not yet lost his self respect in the way you seem to require)

It is a shame that you feel so bitter and wish the worst on people - that's your problem however, and others should not have to conform to the stereotypes that you choose to lay out for them...

If you are not prepared to speak to this gent, and find out a little more about his situation, please refrain from bothering others about it...

Has anyone seen that guy who is always outside sainsburies on the moor selling big issue in a very faded old big issue vest.

This guy is homeless right... yet always has a smart ironed shirt and trowsers, clean shoes, and even managed to have his hair cut very smart and his facial hair trimmed with a nice goatee, the rest of his face always clean shaven.

Now i know theres many definitions of "homeless" in the mind of the liberal do gooder... but this guy is not homeless. I would put money on it.

He has been there ages, he does not look like a drug addict, if anything he might smoke, but ive not seen him smoke or drink, he is always polite and reasonable.

So why would he still be homeless for at least a year (i saw him there ages ago, well over a year)?

Does anyone know this guy? Know his situation?

you can be living in a hostel where you have to sign out every morning and return and sign in every evening. this is not a perminent or gaurented home meerly a inbetween stage but you are still classes as homeless with no fixed abode, they do how ever have a washing machines sinks and toiletrys to use, i know ive been there my self after first spending 3 months on the streets, i still managed to wash do my hair and make sure i hand washed my clothing in the public toilets every day!

stopping in a hostel does not class as a fixed abode and getting a job without one is immpossible unless its illegal work

some people dont have a clue what its actually like to be on the streets, they think its cushy

loneliness, cold, wet, violence, intimidation, sexual assault, death, threats, robbery

its a doddle :suspect:

starving, frightened, rats everywhere, sleeping with one eye open, no warm duvet, no toilet!, lonliness. i really don't think the op has any idea what its like

starving, frightened, rats everywhere, sleeping with one eye open, no warm duvet, no toilet!, lonliness. i really don't think the op has any idea what its like

This is because the OP is evidently a fool...

....Also i am not trying to accuse him of fraud, im just trying to investigate.

What? You are not trying to accuse him of fraud? Let me remind you what you've already posted ....

Now i know theres many definitions of "homeless" in the mind of the liberal do gooder... but this guy is not homeless. I would put money on it.

Yes well im just trying to find out if anyone knows him, or if hes a legit big issue seller. Its well known that many people who are not suppose to be selling the big issue do try to sell it. That would be fraud, and it would be stealing from the people who SHOULD be selling the big issue, as well as stealing from the people buying the magazine who BELIEVE they are helping the HOMELESS.

That is my concern.

As you've already proclaimed you'd put money on this guy not being homeless, that as he's been selling the Big Issue for over a year then he is doing something wrong and then speculated that he is commiting fraud and stealing - would you at least try and be consistent in your posts?

I think you should display some honesty and consistency.