Giant moth flew in our window take at look!

It's a bit tricky to tell at the moment as the poor thing looks quite unwell :(

If at rest, the wings were folded up such that the top surfaces touched each other, it was probably a butterfly.

If on the other hand, the wings were laid flat, such that the top surface was visible it is normally a moth.

In this case, the antennae don't seem to have any thickening at the ends, which also points to it being a moth.

I'm also guessing some sort of Hawk Moth, looking at the size and antennae shape. What colour were the tops of the wings, and were the fore wings the same colour as the rear wings?

You're lucky it wasn't a Tiger Moth ;)

Doubt he would have been able to squash it either :hihi:

I'm thinking it looks like it might have been a Yellow Underwing? It's not big, in comparison to the peg, so probably not a Hawk.

here are some pics that i have just taken of this monster sized moth that was leaving brown and white powder on any surface that it touch this thing has a wing span of over 3 inchs

WHAT THE HELL IS IT?????

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/9394/photo018v.jpg

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/115/photo017m.jpg

cant belive you killed it..........................and it wasnt that big either.

Every morning I have 2 or 3 moths of this sort of size to clear up in the house - one of my cats is a very adept moth hunter and she likes to bring them in.

The biggest moth I ever saw was in Canada and it was nearly the size of a kitchen sink (I was camping and it was resting inside the outdoor sink when I went to do washing up) with it's wings spread, no joking, it was vast!

Moths are cool, I always let them out if they have survived the cats.

a full coversation about moths ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

It's a bit tricky to tell at the moment as the poor thing looks quite unwell :(

If at rest, the wings were folded up such that the top surfaces touched each other, it was probably a butterfly.

If on the other hand, the wings were laid flat, such that the top surface was visible it is normally a moth.

In this case, the antennae don't seem to have any thickening at the ends, which also points to it being a moth.

I'm also guessing some sort of Hawk Moth, looking at the size and antennae shape. What colour were the tops of the wings, and were the fore wings the same colour as the rear wings?

I think unwell is an understatement its guts n brains are on the outside of its body.And its not a big moth it is half the size of a clothes peg Hawk moths can more than twice that size.

Dont get why people kill moths and spiders just catch them and let them go.

hi all

no sadly i did not get chance to kill it i hit it from the celing and the 10 week kitten killed it im still not sure what to do with it as it's something that i have never seen this big before

not it is not squashed it is still very much as it flew in and no i have not zoomed in to take the pic

I managed to catch the moth that came into my house with a plastic jug and a piece of card and put it back outside last night, but when I got Billymonster in just before bed he had a surprisingly similar moth in his mouth at the time :(