Carwood Rd area Pitsmoor.

Anybody around from Carwood Rd., Sedan St., Petre St. neighbourhood in the 50's ? Families I remember are (Carwood Rd. ) the Mayers' at 46, the Caltons' at 48, (going down )Stubbs', Ryletts', Miss Ingle, the Hodgsons'. Opposite were the Charles' ,Deloughrys' Wilsons' Zarembas', Hindmarshes, Cartleges'and Connealys'( Sedan St.) The Mansells', Marrs', Baileys', Walkers' clothes shop,Shingletons' grocers, the Smithers'.The corner shop Carwood Rd. Sedan St. was run by 1st. the Sturdys' and then May Shaw. Harry Lillis had a mobile shop. Phoeby Phips did hair dressing.A family on Petre St.turning right at bottom of C Rd, had two brand new, green, sit up and beg Ford Pops. An old chap up Carwood Lane had a horse and card fruit round,Mr.Gunstone ( who was killed falling over cliffs Rivelin way ) and the window cleaner was a Mr. Wilson who wore a berry and had a 3 wheel van. Won't go on until there's someone interested. Regards to all.

We lived in the corner yard of Carwood and Petre St where the butchers was from 65 to 70, our next door neighbour was Mrs Lillis, the family on the otherside of the passage was called Wilson [Allan] he married the daughter of a coalman who lived on Canada St, but I don't know whether Allan came from that area.

The Hallcar was a good watering hole in those days, I met a couple here in Oz who lived around the corner from us called Sheila and Dennis, but I didn't know them there, although I used to see him in the Corner Pin when we both worked at Firth Browns.

The family who lived at the bottom house on Carwood took over the corner shop opposite them, and their eldest son neil married and stayed in the family house, can't remember their surname.

Roy and Elsie owned the shop on the corner of Canada St at the time the house blew up on there, there eldest daughter and husband have lived 10 mins from us for the last 30 years.

Does this bring back memories ?

PetreSt.jpg

Does this bring back memories ?

PetreSt.jpg

Tha must be gerrin on a bit Trev if tha can remember trams on Petre Street. I can only remember 34 bus on thea.

Gday Mick, everything else but the tram was the same when we left.

Did you hear about Oxo making a special white cube with a red cross on it to celebrate the world cup, it's called the laughing stock.

Edited by skippy

An old chap up Carwood Lane had a horse and cart fruit round,Mr.Gunstone, was killed falling over cliffs Rivelin way.

If this happened between 60 & 62, I was passing the mortuary when they took him there, I worked across the road from there, I believe it happened near the Bell Hagg Inn on Manchester Rd ?

If this happened between 60 & 62, I was passing the mortuary when they took him there, I worked across the road from there, I believe it happened near the Bell Hagg Inn on Manchester Rd ?
Yes - on the track that runs behind the old Bell Hagg Inn - two wheels of the cart somehow left the track and it turned over. My sister worked at the riding stables nearby - it happened in August 1961.

This scan from a 1940s directory might have some familiar names..:)

Yes - on the track that runs behind the old Bell Hagg Inn - two wheels of the cart somehow left the track and it turned over, it happened in August 1961.

Thanks for confirming that hillsbro.

Hi again Skippy, There was a story that Ben Warris of the comedy duo 'Jewell & Warris' was born in your yard,don't know the validity of this. The Mrs.Lillis you mention must be related to Charley Lillis who ran a mobile shop with an old Bedford OB coach in the '50's. Some more names and places for you:- The shop at the bottom of Carwood Lane was run by Mr.& Mrs.Livesey. There was a fruiterer on Petre St. called F.Burns. (These may be before your time there?) There was a bakers at the bottom of Kingston St., the husband had a bad limp and Potter's newsagency near that. The window cleaner was a Mr.Wilson who wore a Berry and went on his rounds in a pre-war, 3-wheel van (Reliant?), the type with no door windows and a motorbike front fork . On the lower side of C.Rd were Tupholmes sheet metal works, at the bottom, Gillat's bakery "Anybody's butter, but Gillat's bread!". They ran pre-war vans with normal control (long bonnet at front, Morris Commercials?) Opposite was a small mortar mill and just above that was a red-brick work's office building which had a round brick gun tower above, the rusting frame was there for years.I had 2 uncles who worked at Firth brown's up to the late 50's, Sam and Harry Charles who also drank at the Corner Pin. Does anyone remember the cast iron Barrage Baloon rings mounted in concrete at the bottom of Smith's Field ? Some players at Petre St. Cricket Club were Tim Young, Ken Speechley ( a milkman) and Tom Gratton. A bin lorry once ran into Connealy's house half way down C.Rd. More when it comes back to me !

Gday Dave, Mrs Lillis could have been his sister in law, as that was her married name, I'm not sure whether she was divorced or widowed at the time we lived there.

I know all about the ex army vehicles at Gillotts mate, I worked there for 2 years after leaving school, it was my job to work the windscreen wipers by hand when it rained heavily, the air conditioners were flaps that we opened to let air in when it was warm, and the windows were like the sash windows that were in the old houses, or worked on a similar system.

Don't know anything about Ben Warris ? the shop peoples names were before my time, we were there from 65 to 70.

Hi again Skippy, Went for a job myself at Gillat's just after passing my driving test. There were no vacancies but I think the manager's name was a Mr. Milliband, or Malliband or something like that. I lived there through the 60's, as I've said, so our paths must have crossed.The butcher who took over from Billy Limb was Jack (?) Adamson I think. Just to ramble on a bit more,Warriner's garage, end of Sedan St. and their radio/TV dept. managed by Bernard Wilson and their old petrol attendant, George Herbert.Littlewood's Tours of Spital Hill kept some of their coaches at Warriners',maroon and silver livery. Nearby on Ella Rd. were two old ladies who sold petrol from an ancient hand pump. There was a doctor near there called Leddy.Carr's confectioners near the church where all the kids went for 'Lingo Fizz' and root liqourice. Harry's barber's shop nearby (" What do you expect for a tanner?" was his retort when a school friend's mother complained!) Did you know of the mineral water Co. Rider Wilson's, Wades' repair garage, and going a little off track, Fred Knagg's photography and car spares shop near the Vestry Hall, a bread van going through Excell's chemist window opposite the library, the little petrol station by the library and Grocock's fruiterers nearby ? Anyone remember the poor chap who threw himself under a bus outside Ellesmere Rd.school, early 50's ? Pepsi Cola (launch?) when they had a plane writing the name in the sky? God, don't I go on?!

I knew Jack the butcher very well Dave, my wife worked with his sister in law before we moved there, I remember a bloke called Roger took over the barbers shop on the opposite corner to us whilst we lived there.

I had a motorbike and side car which I parked outside the house, as we lived opposite the paper shop and bus stop, someone complained, so I used to leave it on the hallcar carpark for 5 bob a week until I managed to get the big gate open into our yard and parked it inside the yard.

I remember Fred Knaggs and also a dentist near the old Coleseum pictures, his name was Ivor, it was so funny to see a dentist with the name I. Pullem.

In the first yard up on Carwood there was a very short guy, he married a girl who lived opposite me on the shirecliffe, so I had quite a shock when I saw them living there.

You probably knew Eric Hooley who lived on Petre St, between Canada St and Jamaica St, and maybe Harold Colley from Jamaica St, he is my wife's cousin, did you ever go to Ellesmere youth club ?

Here are some names of people who lived around the Carwood Terrace in your day, Sowter, Simmonite, Thompson.

Hi Skippy, Eric Hooley certainly rings a bell, he was in my classes at All Saints', and probably was at Burngreave. I can't picture him but definitely knew him. The other names don't ring a bell though.I think I've mentioned the Hutton family on Carwood Terrace whose daughter was a friend of my sister before moving to Nottingham. I also had a motorbike and sidecar early 60's, a Matchless 500 single. The Hallcar Tavern was begun as a pub by my mum's grandad I think it was, George Charles. He started by selling ale to the steelworkers from his front room. I took mum and her sister in during the early80's when they were quite elderly and they told the landlord the story.