Carwood Rd area Pitsmoor.

Great photo's, the house shown on the photo with the lorry was lived in by the Asquith family, it was a double yard and we lived in the top part after we moved out of the hairdressers shop across the road, our back yard looked over into Carwood Lane.

Hi Hindy, Wow, I knew your dad Bob well, along with your grandparents who were lovely people. I lived across, the Calton family. Your gran always cut off the crusts on Nichol's bread (she called him Nichol, not Nicholson). I loved their accent and they were a very respectable couple and kind to us kids.Your gran had an attractive hair style if I recall; parted down the middle and braided around the back, a bit like you see German ladies. I was amazed when you said your dad was in his 80's, but I'm 65 now, time does fly. The Jamaican couple lived in the yard above your grandparents. The father had a Raleigh bike, the type with a metal chainguard and springs on the saddle. I admired it so much I bought one myself when I started work. Bernard and Joe were twins as you will know. Do ask your dad if he remembers us and pass on my regards.

Hi, I am Bob Hindmarch's daughter, I have been reading all the posts out to him and he remembers nearly all the people mentioned. He remembers the Caltons, Olive especially who he said married Stuart (I think that is what he said) how are you related to the Caltons as he is puzzled as to who you are but says he must know you.

My" auntie and uncle " used to live on Ellesmere road next to the junk shop I used to stay sometimes at the wekend I remember those outside loos .

Their name was Scandrett== Minnie and Walt

Hi 'Doyle', Olive Calton married Edwin (Tim) Young from Danville St. She fell for him when he was delivering papers as a youth. They married and after living in Danville St. moved to Parson Cross and then to Stalybridge near Manchester. Tim sadly died a few years ago, Olive is now 81. Does your dad remember Pat Buxton who lived with Mr & Mrs.Myers at No. 46 and Brenda Stuart who lived with the Marr's and their grandparents the Garret's in our back yard ? Have recently got in touch with Terry Mansell who now lives in Barnsley.

Hi, I have just spoken to dad and he remembers all the names. He was very sad to hear that Tim had died though.

i lived in Petre St between Lyons St and Sutherland Rd from 1947 til 75. At one time I delivered papers for Mr Yates, not the nearest paper shop to me, Potter's was. I then went to work for Gowers & Burgon, Lyons St/Petre St. I remember all the stores, Mr Livesey in brown smock. Rogers' was the cleanest well-stocked shop there was. The junk shop became Roger's barbers and Eric Hooley was a mad, and probably still is, Wednesdayite. The Simmonites lived in Carwood Crescent not Carwood Terrace (David & Pete who I think now lives in Australia) I hung around with the Smith brothers fron the Terrace.

i lived in Petre St between Lyons St and Sutherland Rd from 1947 til 75. At one time I delivered papers for Mr Yates, not the nearest paper shop to me, Potter's was. I then went to work for Gowers & Burgon, Lyons St/Petre St. I remember all the stores, Mr Livesey in brown smock. Rogers' was the cleanest well-stocked shop there was. The junk shop became Roger's barbers and Eric Hooley was a mad, and probably still is, Wednesdayite. The Simmonites lived in Carwood Crescent not Carwood Terrace (David & Pete who I think now lives in Australia) I hung around with the Smith brothers fron the Terrace.

Stuart Smith used to post on this forum as 'stu smith'. I think he's in Australia too. If you do a search you can find his posts

Does anyone remember sisters June and Pam (can't remember surname) who used to live on either Carwood Terrace or Carwood Cres. I think. June married Terry Thompson and definitely lived in that area after marriage.

The Simmonites lived in Carwood Crescent not Carwood Terrace (David & Pete who I think now lives in Australia) I hung around with the Smith brothers fron the Terrace.

Don't know about Peter, but Dave lives off Prince of Wales road at Darnall, I phoned him about 18 months ago. He couldn,t help with others of our time from Carwood Terrace .Lived there from about'48 to '67 , friends were Terry Thompson , Barry Fitter, Robert Ferguson, Reg Justice. Does anyone remember a Kenny Box ,bit of a gentle giant. I also worked at Burgeons,delivering groceries around Pitsmoor and Grimesthorpe , walked bl--dy miles with that handcart.Hated to have to go to the Richards family on Cyclops St, she was once in the tin bath in front of the fire and shouted come in.

Would the Simmonites mentioned here be related to either Fred or Bernard Simmonite, Fred was part owner in a sheet metal business at Firvale for many years but long deceased now, his brother Bernard had a haulage business also run from the same premises, Bernard lived on Hunsley St just above the chapel, he was in WW2 to give you an idea on age we are talking about.

I also worked at Burgeons,delivering groceries around Pitsmoor and Grimesthorpe , walked bl--dy miles with that handcart.Hated to have to go to the Richards family on Cyclops St, she was once in the tin bath in front of the fire and shouted come in.

Did you deliver or what ? ha ha.

My grandma & Grandad Harry & Mary Moore lived at 309 Petre St from 1931 until the houses were demolished about 1975. My dad Jim Moore & siblings Barabara & Harry lived there too. When Harry married he lived at 305 Petre St.

All the houses in that yard (303 - 309) were owned by Albert Turner who was a dentist with a practice at 907 Chesterfield Rd. He was a distant relative & had married the sister of Edwin Beeston who had a bakers/confectioners at 209/211 Petre St ( left hand corner of Petre St & Kingston St I think) from 1900 to about 1935. Any body know what that shop was when you lived there?

Prior to living in Petre St my dad & family lived at 40 Jamaica Street.

Dad attanded All Saints school & church where he was a choirboy & was in 15th Sheffield Boys Brigade there

John