When a bloke can't admire a woman

I really don't see why this MSP has had to quit his committee post:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/10332299.stm

I do not see how it could be offensive, he was positively complimentary. It's coming to something when a bloke cannot admire and comment on the beauty of a woman. OK, he was at work, probably a 30 second time out. We all do it, see an attractive member of the opposite sex, maybe comment to a mate. Don't you lasses give us the sexist thing, you know you do it too :D

--

Same here, just read the storey on the BBC and was expecting him to be demeaning or sexist, but all I seem to be able to find is that he complimented her on her appearance and stated that she looked cultured.

Maybe she wasn't attractive and resented being described as cultured.

Total madness. The country has gone PC crazy.

I could understand it if he said she looked like an old trout, but this is barking mad.

What next being forced to resign because someone thought it was a nice day or that the coffee and biscuits were good?

As far as i can see, no-one forced him to do anything, don't think it was "PC gone mad" tbh.

I wonder if he was afraid because of the "dusky" part of the comment?

It must be the 'dusky' and 'Filipino' comments that were deemed offensive.

When will these politicians ever learn to turn their mikes off?!:hihi:

We're all gonna get sacked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The women too!!!

Good heavens, if I'd been told by someone that I was being admired I wouldn't have complained - it's not as if he went into sexual detail

Edited by cressida

I really don't see why this MSP has had to quit his committee post:

Me neither, I read this in he sun and could not workout what the issue was.

When Brown did it he was slagging the woman off and nothing to do with attraction to her. I saw the picture he referred to her as looking like and she did have some resemblance to it. I think the problem is that it had breasts in it and the smut side of it became the issue. I think its a rather artistic picture and she does look like her or have I missed something ?

You can't admire a woman if the wife is standing next to you :hihi::hihi:

You can't admire a woman if the wife is standing next to you :hihi::hihi:

You need to be sly about it :hihi:

You can't see why? He was the convenor of (presumably) an important committee and he's ogling the women in the room? He should have been paying attention to the task at hand, not making personal comments. And what's all that about 'putting out a wee word for her'? Stupid man!

I agree, ruby. He was commenting on her in an inappropriate way. One has the impression that he could as easily have been saying, look at that whale in the second row! And, my God, her roots are showing through the bleach!

It's the whole, 'judging a woman by her appearance' thing. And yes, it might (ok of course it does) go on, but one would like to believe that MPs/MEPs are somehow wise enough to not do it with the microphone on. Not every woman wants to be valued by her physical size or by the colour of her skin or the exoticness of her appearance.