Taking the keys off your laptop.

Last week I had no "d" and now "e" seems to have something stuck underneath.

Can you take the keys from your keyboard to clean underneath? It's a Sony Vaio.

yep if you are carefull as theres little bits that can break/ come off underneath the key

plus can be fiddly to fit back on and dont allways stay on right once theyve been fiddled with

yep if you are carefull as theres little bits that can break/ come off underneath the key

plus can be fiddly to fit back on and dont allways stay on right once theyve been fiddled with

Cheers Ken, so it may be wiser to unscrew the back panel and clean the keyboard from underneath? I don't want to start having loose or missing keys.

Simplest thing would be to try a compressed air canister first.

Simplest thing would be to try a compressed air canister first.

id agree with malky

I could give it you a blast on compressor thats all i do or as stated get a can of air.

My last computer took only a careful realignment and clicking on in the right place to replace removed keys, but the one before that took a very knowledgeable and steady handed person with two pairs of angled needle tweezers to hold exactly the right bits during reintroduction to get each key back on.

I don't think I'd risk removing the keys to find out which one you have ;)

Either blast it out with air or vacuum it out, but make sure that you have the crevice tool on the vacuum and a pair of tights or something over the nozzle to stop it from potentially lifting a few keys.

It's also possible that it's just a crumb and that pressing the key really firmly will break the crumb up.

My last computer took only a careful realignment and clicking on in the right place to replace removed keys, but the one before that took a very knowledgeable and steady handed person with two pairs of angled needle tweezers to hold exactly the right bits during reintroduction to get each key back on.

I don't think I'd risk removing the keys to find out which one you have ;)

Either blast it out with air or vacuum it out, but make sure that you have the crevice tool on the vacuum and a pair of tights or something over the nozzle to stop it from potentially lifting a few keys.

It's also possible that it's just a crumb and that pressing the key really firmly will break the crumb up.

Sorry to contradict but using a vacuum cleaner can 'Fry' your computer chips if it is on the right carpet whilst 'hoovering out the innards of a computer' Vaan Der Graaf or someone of his ilk that Dad tought me about, Something to do with lastick bands and globes and ZAP.. Dead Chips...

Not advisable. no non n'estpas !!

All the keys on Laptop keyboards are secured on with 4 points of double clips that come off surprisingly easy if you google your model and ask the question..

Go to the local post office and try a can of compressed air spray (1.99) and blow the crap outta there first.

Then google your model for spare keys ...

Upstairs for thinking,

Downstairs... Forgot..

Sorry to contradict but using a vacuum cleaner can 'Fry' your computer chips if it is on the right carpet whilst 'hoovering out the innards of a computer' Vaan Der Graaf or someone of his ilk that Dad tought me about, Something to do with lastick bands and globes and ZAP.. Dead Chips...

Not advisable. no non n'estpas !!

All the keys on Laptop keyboards are secured on with 4 points of double clips that come off surprisingly easy if you google your model and ask the question..

Go to the local post office and try a can of compressed air spray (1.99) and blow the crap outta there first.

Then google your model for spare keys ...

Upstairs for thinking,

Downstairs... Forgot..

Only if it's not earthed properly- just earth the body of your vacuum cleaner whilst operating it so there's no Van der Graaf potential (and you're nowhere near the moving part if you're using the crevice tool anyway).

Unfortunately I have lots of practice at replacing removed keys because the foster kittens are fabulously talented at getting their claws stuck underneath the edges of them. The keys do indeed come off easily with a claw under the corner of them.

Only if it's not earthed properly- just earth the body of your vacuum cleaner whilst operating it so there's no Van der Graaf potential (and you're nowhere near the moving part if you're using the crevice tool anyway).

Unfortunately I have lots of practice at replacing removed keys because the foster kittens are fabulously talented at getting their claws stuck underneath the edges of them. The keys do indeed come off easily with a claw under the corner of them.

Pad in a clay mould and Patent it ... ;)

but the one before that took a very knowledgeable and steady handed person with two pairs of angled needle tweezers to hold exactly the right bits during reintroduction to get each key back on.

my dog decided to remove some of mine when she was a pup, now when it comes to laptops i wouldn't say i was very knowledgeable and steady handed person and certainly didn't have any angled needle tweezers but i did get the keys back on.

However it did take me nearly 3 hours of trying to position the metal pins underneath in order to get the keys back on :(