David Cameron to place minimum price on booze!

It should be similar to a driving license although instead of taking a test (such as downing 3 pints then walking on a tight rope) you just purchase one when your 18.

If you're caught doing something stupid, you get 3 points. If you get 9 points you are banned from purchasing alcohol. Shops and bars could easily adapt a swipe card reader for the card you carry.

Do you have to take a drinking test before you can get your licence?? :hihi:

Its not the price of alcohol that needs to change its the attitude of the english towards drink. It's clutural, English people drink to get drunk, and that's the case wether you are on the dole or pulling in £50+ grand a year. A mininum price on alcohol will do nothing to discorage binge drinking, unfortunatly drinking at the weekend so so ingrained into our national psyche that we'll do it regarless of the cost therfore those at the poorer end of the scale will suffer whether they drink responsibly or not.

Unfortunately attitudes are more difficult/expensive to change than prices, so the gorvernment are going for the easy, revenue earning, ineffective option. No change there then.

Unfortunately attitudes are more difficult/expensive to change than prices, so the gorvernment are going for the easy, revenue earning, ineffective option.

Not true. The Government are the ones who don't want to introduce minimum prices; the health professionals are trying to convince them to do so.

What's so bad about people getting drunk anyway? 99% of people who get drunk are no danger to anyone else, it's just the media exaggerates stories about the 1% that do.

Treat people like adults and they'll behave like adults. Treat people like kids and they'll behave like kids.

Its not the price of alcohol that needs to change its the attitude of the english towards drink. It's clutural, English people drink to get drunk, and that's the case wether you are on the dole or pulling in £50+ grand a year.

I agree, I have never been fully Compos Mentis on a Friday night since 1972, not proud of it though, that's just the way it is.

What's so bad about people getting drunk anyway? 99% of people who get drunk are no danger to anyone else, it's just the media exaggerates stories about the 1% that do.

Treat people like adults and they'll behave like adults. Treat people like kids and they'll behave like kids.

I'd invite you to visit your local A&E and tell that to the nurses who have been attacked on a regular basis.

I'd invite you to visit your local A&E and tell that to the nurses who have been attacked on a regular basis.

Okay then. Are you one of them or do you think what you see on "Casualty" goes on in real life?

Okay then. Are you one of them or do you think what you see on "Casualty" goes on in real life?

Thats a bit of a sweeping statement to make isn't it? Nurses ARE regularly attacked at work by drunk people!

Plus, I believe that 90% of the story lines in causality are based on true stories.

I'm not one of them no, but a relative worked in A&E on and off in Stockport for 30 years and was attacked a dozen times. Most of the attacks happened in the last 10 years.

I read in the metro that the idea was that they are suggesting the "minimum cost" to be cost price, ie supermarkets would not be able to subsidise alcohol. Sounds like a good idea to me, they should do it with milk and many other goods.

I'm not one of them no, but a relative worked in A&E on and off in Stockport for 30 years and was attacked a dozen times. Most of the attacks happened in the last 10 years.

That's unfortunate but hospital staff can be attacked by any kind of people - it's not just drunks, it can be druggies, nutters or just people upset that their loved ones aren't getting preferential treatment in hospital.

That doesn't change the fact that 99% of people who drink are no danger to anyone else and shouldn't be penalised for the minority who can't take their drink.

One of the government suggestions is not selling below cost price. The medical body that is in the news today doesn't like that proposal as white cider is very cheap to make.