Squirrels...are they vermin?

What is the difference. They are both animals and therefore, according to a lot of people on here, are only fit for tearing to pieces. This time for eating tree bark, which must rank up there amonst the greatest crimes of all time.

They're also eating a lot of birds which is why many people seem to be trying to get them out of their gardens at the moment. I wouldn't ever condone tearing them to pieces, I was pointing out that it is illegal to trap and re-release them. If you do trap them they must be dispatched humanely.

This time for eating tree bark, which must rank up there amonst the greatest crimes of all time.

They don't in fact eat the bark, - just strip it off and spit it out :)

Nobody appears to know why they do it, but they seem to pick on immature trees and the behaviour is preventing regeneration in some woodlands with large populations of greys. In the long term they're destoying their own habitat and that of many other species.

We have two greys in the trees at the bottom of the garden. I had no Idea that they steal eggs and chicks.. this would explain why the magpies were going crackers the otherday.I cant work out whos nest it is in the tree. I thought the magpies were trying to get the squirrils young from the nest, but maybe it was the other way round.

Hi there i live in ablock of flats 3 storeys high and we have three outside our window every day our neighbour who lives on the second floor told me when we moved into the flats ,that she got up one morning and found 2 sitting on her windowsill.and when my greatgrandson comes he likes to watch them they look so cute to see ,that you dont really think of them as vermine and i didnt know that they ate birds.

Well i for one like grey squirrels, and at work we fed a couple last year and now this year they have brought their babies back to the kitchen window where we feed all the family by hand on brazil nuts etc, I think that this is lovely that they remember us and teach their little-uns that we are not to be scared of, and it's amazing to see the babes become tame and un-afraid of humans.I'll never see them as vermin they are gorgeous bits of wildlife that i can get up and personal with!

You dont hear much people going out with shotguns to go and kill rats! Squirrels are harmless so why the hell would you go out of your way to buy a flaming trap! Yeah, so what, they have steal eggs and what have you but life continues! Surely you people have better things to be doing then going out to kill something which have done nothing to you. Its just nature, do you hunt owls or cats even for hunting and killing mice? Its the same principle, get on with your lifes people. I completely agree with you 'spinny'.

Grey squirrels are simply the Red Ones that are Old.

Like humans, squirrels also become grey in their old age.

I can't understand why people dislike grey squirrels, they have a right to live out their older years in peace, as much as the younger red ones

Don't start me off on squizzies! Everyone knows they come from outer space in UFO's. The greys and the reds. Alco area 51 and a half is single handedly trying to eradicate them. They have destroyed my small hadron collider and are single handedly responsible for the demise of the only plant in my garden (an onion)which I was grooming for a lasagne.

Its Legal to trap Grey Squirels bur ILLEGAL to let them go if you trap them .

To Shoot them dont use a Air rifle its not Powerfull enough Tbh you will need at least a 410

Grey Squirels actually make a Tasty meal added to rabbit or if you have a few of them .theres many old english squirel dishes