Appeal to parents of teenage kids. please keep them in after dark.

I'm sorry to hear about what has happened.

Problem is there is nothing to do in Handsworth for kids / teens. It's no wonder they end up in gangs.

There are sports facilities open but these are at the secondary school. Which kids are going to go back to school in the evening after spending most of the day there.

Parents need to be more responsible but they can't keep them in all the time.

You are right go4it, But they should keep them in at the right times don't you think?

I was asking you to clarify which teenagers you think ought to be kept in.

Were you meaning the ones who assaukted your daughter, or was it more general than that?

Apology accepted.

Ok. Well, according to the police, they are trying to advise all parents to keep their kids in after dark. This way they can seperate the hardcore offenders from the rest. It seems that the hardcore have no respect for what thier parents have to say. I think that they are trying this technique to sort the wheat from the chaff, but it can't work until all parents decide to fall into line. :(

Ok. Well, according to the police, they are trying to advise all parents to keep their kids in after dark. This way they can seperate the hardcore offenders from the rest. It seems that the hardcore have no respect for what thier parents have to say. I think that they are trying this technique to sort the wheat from the chaff, but it can't work until all parents decide to fall into line. :(

To clarify, you're meaning all parents in Handsworth, yes?

What about the parents of the friend she was supposed to be staying with, surely they were responsible for her while she was staying with them, why did they let her go out so late in dark.

Sorry if I have got this wrong, just going by what you have written.

I can't imagine what you must be feeling I have got a 13year old child and I do worry when they are out on their own.

To clarify, you're meaning all parents in Handsworth, yes?

I'm not sure really Halibut. After talking to the police, it was made clear that several of the gang members were known, and that they were from other parts of the city. Darnell was one of them, as was Attercliffe. What do you suggest?

What about the parents of the friend she was supposed to be staying with, surely they were responsible for her while she was staying with them, why did they let her go out so late in dark.

Sorry if I have got this wrong, just going by what you have written.

I can't imagine what you must be feeling I have got a 13year old child and I do worry when they are out on their own.

You're on the button there rainbow. We have had words with them!

As I said earlier, when their daughter stays over at our house, that's where she stays.

I'm not sure really Halibut. After talking to the police, it was made clear that several of the gang members were known, and that they were from other parts of the city. Darnell was one of them, as was Attercliffe. What do you suggest?

Difficult as it must be when it's your own child that's been hurt, I'd suggest that the notion of keeping all the kids indoors after dark isn't really the answer.

Of course, parents have a responsibility to be aware of what their kids are up to. Sadly, not all of them know or care.

My own niece was mugged a couple of days ago by a couple of teenagers on her own street at three in the morning. She's still a teenager herself though and i'd hate to think of her freedom being curtailed by a curfew. For me it's not so much the issue of kids being out after dark as some kids behaving vilently and robbing people.

I wouldnt want my child out after the suns gone down anyway!!! Not only are their gangs and thugs but theres perves and paedophiles too ... too big a risk they have all day to play out and if they are at school theres at least four hours before dark! By night time my kids will be in doing their home work, having tea and settling down, dont care if im seen as a strict parent my parents would have never had me staying out late until i was 16/17 then they gave me a little bit of trust with what i did.

I hope your daughter is ok

Difficult as it must be when it's your own child that's been hurt, I'd suggest that the notion of keeping all the kids indoors after dark isn't really the answer.

Of course, parents have a responsibility to be aware of what their kids are up to. Sadly, not all of them know or care.

My own niece was mugged a couple of days ago by a couple of teenagers on her own street at three in the morning. She's still a teenager herself though and i'd hate to think of her freedom being curtailed by a curfew. For me it's not so much the issue of kids being out after dark as some kids behaving vilently and robbing people.

So lets just go on as we are yeah?. How about 30 grown men go out up that end and even the score for the poor kids being attacked?. The police in this country are gutless, Your children are in danger now, they can be stabbed, shot, raped, tortured and murdered.....and the answer is still......"we know the offenders but cant arrest them".........WHY?!.

As for the curfew yes this should not be the case, but anyone willing to risk their child being hurt may as well kick the child themselves. What is a couple of nights compared to the years of mental issues from a rape, beating or worse?.

So lets just go on as we are yeah?. How about 30 grown men go out up that end and even the score for the poor kids being attacked?.

Howabout that's a stupid, immoral and illegal thing to do?

The police in this country are gutless

I don't believe that's true.

Your children are in danger now, they can be stabbed, shot, raped, tortured and murdered.....and the answer is still......"we know the offenders but cant arrest them".........WHY?!.

My children are asleep in bed, they're quite safe thanks. The chances of them being shot, stabbed, raped, tortured or murdered are extremely small.

As for the curfew yes this should not be the case, but anyone willing to risk their child being hurt may as well kick the child themselves.

With respect I think that's rubbish. I am willing to take a degree of risk with my children in allowing them some independence as are many other parents. You can damge kids as much by being overprotective as you can by allowing them to have some freedom.

What is a couple of nights compared to the years of mental issues from a rape, beating or worse?.

Is keeping kids in for a couple of nights going to mean they'll never run those risks?

I presume these are the ones whom have been putting the bus stop windows through on a weekly basis. I've been walking through there a fair bit recently and the only gangs that stood out as dodgy were a group of 6 white males (14-16, one elder, maybe mid twenties wearing a bandana), and a group of four asian males (about 16/17) with mastiff type dog.

I turned a blind eye to one of those groups shoplifting about one month ago as I myself was arguing with the shopkeeper about the mislabelling of goods (him charging different prices at the till than those advertised on the shelf).

Howabout that's a stupid, immoral and illegal thing to do?

And allowing those doing the stupid, immoral and illegal things to go about their business is right?

Yes i do echo my words on the police in this city being gutless. A million and one excuses.....and very little visible presence.....tis pathetic.