Do you need a TV licence to watch live politics?

Do you need a TV licence to watch live politics?

Any thoughts... anyone?

Perhaps a lobotomy.

Any thoughts... anyone?

It defeats me why anyone would want to watch politics on t.v.-- unless they suffer from insomnia!

thats not true we had tv licience people at my house before i moved in when i was decorating it and they told me i needed a tv licience for any of the above items i listed

Hmm, your problem it seems is you take what THEY tell you as law.

LAW is decided in courts in front of a judge, and the interpretation of what parliament has passed into law is their job, not some guy who knocks on your door.

Been there, and won my case, so no matter what anyone says if you can put an argument that what you are doing is for educational purposes then you DON'T need a licence.

Do your research and don't listen to these bods, do you know your not legally obliged to let them into your property or speak to them if you don't wish to.

Correct, and if they can't actualy see a TV in opperation a prosicution is "not sustainable" in court.

i actually know someone who dint let them in an ended up getting fined

Complete and utter rubbish, you made that up.

exactly they got a court order i am not as sad as some people on here i don't make storys up i actually have a life unlike loads on here making threads up for pathetic reasons

Again, rubbish.

The bench decided many years ago that they would not issue search warrents in the furtherence of the TV licencing authorities.

There's not a single JP in the city who would issue this kind of warrent.

So the only way it could be obtained is before a stipendiary magistrate, which would follow the normal patern of law meaning that notice of a court date to issue the order would have to be given to the person concerned.

In such a case its highly unlikely that anyone would be stupid enough to keep the TV at the premisses, since its the finding thereof which would constitute the offence.

More over the fact that such a case was held would make national news and we'd all know about it.

Jackanory.

Do you own a tv? If you answer yes you need a licence. Simple really!

Simple yes, but not true :)

The only time you need a license is if you actually use it to watch live TV

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/" data-cite="\"from the tv licensing link http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="224107" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic">
You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder.

you need a tv license to watch a broadcast program at the time it is broadcast, as this comes under the broadcasting act and it hasn't caught up with the interweb yet

so a live debate in the house would need a tv license if it is shown on the web only if it is also broadcast on TV at the same time

iPlayer does not currently need a license and neither do any of the other internet TV on demand service as they are not broadcast at the same time as you watch

bit silly if you ask me, they should just get rid of the license and use advertising, but then of course BBC wouldn't be able to pay silly salaries to it's executives and chat show hosts ... sorry make quality drama, they'd take our Dr Who away as payback

--EDIT--

if you own a TV then you either buy a license, or you hire a person from the licensing authority and have them take up residence to make sure you never watch anything that's broadcast, or you get rid of the TV, whichever works out the cheapest option

Edited by esme

Complete and utter rubbish, you made that up.

He probably didn't, but he missed out a large chunk of the story; he knew someone who didn't let them in, the TV licencing people took out a court order for entry, found the television, and they ended up getting fined.

Not sure why there's all this banter going, if you want to know what requires a TV license then see:

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/

Thank you SimpyTimpy.

From your link......

Watching TV on the internet: You need to be covered by a licence if you watch TV online at the same time as it's being broadcast on conventional TV in the UK or the Channel Islands.

So, as I don't do this, (indeed don't have a clue how to do it - I only found out about YouTube about a year ago :roll: ), I don't need a tv license. Problem solved.

Any thoughts... anyone?

Live yes. That applies to live broadcasts or live internet streams.