Why can't fit people on benefits be used to repair holes in roads ?

Well the main reason would be because we don't want them patching up, we want them properly repairing, and to do that requires the people to be properly trained, else they will need repairing again shortly afterwards. So you would have to pay for the training, while still paying benefits to that person, unless it counts as employment in which case we are talking minimum wage.

Besides which, we have already paid for them to be kept in decent condition through our taxes, and they should be made to repair them with what they already have that we have paid for, don't like the idea of shifting the responsibility onto other people.

you couldnt pay them minimum wage, they would have to be employed on the same terms and conditions as other streetforce employees and entitled to the same pension scheme etc.

Then the council has national insurance contributions & pension contributions for each of these people as well, by the time your done with all this you are probably talking at least £20k per year per person if not more.

After this, you would need to buy more equipment for them to use, more lorries for them to drive around, more tarmac for them to actually use to fill in the holes..... the list could go on and on.

On another point, your tax contributions probably pay the cost of 1 pot hole per year to be repaired. This is the bit of road tax that actually makes it to the council for road maintainance as well as your council tax contribution.

If it's gonna take almost 2 years before roads are properly repaired then a lot of road users are gonna get killed . The roads are very dangerous for cyclists and motor cyclists. They need repairing now not 2 years time !

you couldnt pay them minimum wage, they would have to be employed on the same terms and conditions as other streetforce employees and entitled to the same pension scheme etc.

Then the council has national insurance contributions & pension contributions for each of these people as well, by the time your done with all this you are probably talking at least £20k per year per person if not more.

After this, you would need to buy more equipment for them to use, more lorries for them to drive around, more tarmac for them to actually use to fill in the holes..... the list could go on and on.

On another point, your tax contributions probably pay the cost of 1 pot hole per year to be repaired. This is the bit of road tax that actually makes it to the council for road maintainance as well as your council tax contribution.

Since SCC are entering into a Highways PFI next year, this is all irrelevant I'm afraid. Highway maintenance will be done by a private contractor and they'll do it as economically as they can, to maximise their profit margin.

If it's gonna take almost 2 years before roads are properly repaired then a lot of road users are gonna get killed . The roads are very dangerous for cyclists and motor cyclists. They need repairing now not 2 years time !

If you look at the quote I posted off the SCC website, its going to take 7 years (ish) for roads to be repaired properly. Although there is to be a programme of pothole filling next year.

even better idea, all those on benefits that cant be arsed, use them to fill the holes..literally!! get them shot and chuck the body in the hole and wack it down nice and compact! then when council decide to re-do the roads they can just go over the top of them!

even better idea, all those on benefits that cant be arsed, use them to fill the holes..literally!! get them shot and chuck the body in the hole and wack it down nice and compact! then when council decide to re-do the roads they can just go over the top of them!

There could be questions raised in the European Parliament about this, as they could possible deem it, believe it or not, after many years of heated debate, as unfair treatment of citizens of the European Community. However, such a view could only be excavated by a trained European Law researcher, which would go something like this....

""I eventually had to go down to the cellar..."

"That's the display department."

"...with a torch"

"The lights had probably gone."

"So had the stairs."

"Well, you found the notice, didn't you?"

"Yes. The plans were on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet, stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard""

Since SCC are entering into a Highways PFI next year, this is all irrelevant I'm afraid. Highway maintenance will be done by a private contractor and they'll do it as economically as they can, to maximise their profit margin.

If you look at the quote I posted off the SCC website, its going to take 7 years (ish) for roads to be repaired properly. Although there is to be a programme of pothole filling next year.

I believe that all the current streetforce staff will transfer to the new company on the same terms and conditions as they are now. I think it's called TUPE regulations.

how many years?:huh:

If i remember right..there was story in the sheefield star a couple years ago saying there was a 115 yr backlog of work to repair sheffields rds

Whys are people so angry with people on the dole???...whats up, are you jelous cos you hate your job and life overall???

I believe that all the current streetforce staff will transfer to the new company on the same terms and conditions as they are now. I think it's called TUPE regulations.
Thats correct, they will but they will still be working for a private company and not the council. And, as far as I am aware, terms and conditions that are TUPE'd over can be changed the following day and aren't really worth a great deal.

Thats all assuming there will be many street force workers left to transfer over after the potential redundancies they are currently facing.

Cant we get the local prison population to do it? Give them a break from their PS3's and taunting victims via Facebook.

In this PC mad world we live in, I can't see that ever happening (eeven though I would love to see it!) Can you imagine when one of them breaks a fingernail or gets a bit of grit in their eye!!! We will be paying out for it!

They could work the number of hours that their benefit would pay for at the going rate...

Their stamp is paid whilst on the dole..why could this not continue...?

Why would you need more tarmac..there's only so many holes no matter how quickly they're filled...?