I feel like a criminal after speaking to the Council Tax Helpline!

Thanks amzy87 I feel the same and too have worked for helplines and in finance and in my experience if you are working on a helpline- help is what you should be dishing out not barriers.

I resorted to paying the last four months off from Dec last year in one lump sum (costing nearly a months maternity pay) because they were hassling me .... and I was up to date!!!

They sent me a court summons and a payment wasnt due till the next day! I tried to pay on the phone and AS USUAL - Declined! I payed over the internet about 3 mins later and it accepted.

Sort of have to laugh now cause its so silly!

I have found that if you go on the council tax website you can send an email thing and they get back to you that way (although I have to say ive also had probs with that :( ) BUT it means you dont have to speak to someone thats unwilling to help.

:)

Might help if you visit First Point (think that's what it's called) in person? I went and saw someone within ten minutes with a query similar to yours, and got it sorted :-) . . .

Telephone helplines shouldn't be called helplines. We should sue under the Trades Descriptions Act for false advertising.

Telephone helplines shouldn't be called helplines. We should sue under the Trades Descriptions Act for false advertising.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Too True!

I have found a number of the council tax "helpline" people disinterested, rude and not in any way helpful.

Other calls - on speaking to a different person, they were actually polite and helpful.

S'pose it depends on luck of the draw.

I imagine it is like most low paid office jobs in that some people actually try and do a good job, with a nod to things like common decency and then there are those that don't give a damn.

I went in to First Point and spoke to a woman who was also of the " I don't give a damn" ilk.

E-mail facility for council tax useful if you can't take the stress of it all.

I have used that helpline (when I owed them money) and found it very useful and the person on the other line polite and most interested in the best way for me to pay the bill and not miss future bills. Never got the feeling they were making me feel like a criminal and were certainly never rude or humiliated.

Purely out of interest, what was the OP's approach towards this particular phone call (in terms of attitude, ie. were you pleasant/arsey/rude/polite etc with them?)

Has anyone ever had a good experience with the council tax helpline? I know I never have had one. The staff always seem patronising,unhelpful and just cannot be bothered to assist in a professional manner.

A visit to the first point centre is not always available to people that work "office" hours,I think this could also be addressed by the powers that be.

always the case...they owe you money, you have to chase them all over for it...but if you owe them....lordy!!!! ;)

True this one, years ago they were chasing me for "rates" and i just couldn`t get through thier concrete skull so i eventually ended up in Court and attended as it was a final attempt to sort things out.

The Magistrates were great and much more helpful and understanding than i had expected but the Councils representatives consisting of two old suits and a woman taking notes made the hearing seem like a war crimes trial with their attitude and looks across the court.

I explained the whole situation and exhibited my paperwork to the Magistrates and won the day, the look on the others faces was even sourer once theyd been judged to be wrong!

Today I have been interegated, humiliated, insulted and made to feel like a criminal!

Have I mugged someone ?- no

Have I been involved in anti social behaviour? - no

Did I kill anyone ?-no

My crime was to ring the Council Tax helpline and try to change the payment date of my council tax to a day when I can actually pay it!!!

I have no idea why they call this a helpline as I have never ever spoke to people who are so UNHELPFUL in a my life.:rant:

Rant over....thanks for reading

The reason they didn't help is because you haven't breached the terms of the debt yet so have not shown unwillingness to pay. Try calling them back or going to a first point on April 3rd, ask to pay over 12 months instead of 10 and you can also request any day of the month to pay unless you want to pay by DD because there are restrictions. You can also ask to pay weekly, fortnightly, lunar monthly or monthly

Thank you so much for all your advice and letting me know its not just me, I was very polite when I spoke to them and agree that because as yet I am not in debt with them maybe thats why they can't help.

Perhaps I'll just get in debt and face the magistrates!:D

Thank you so much for all your advice and letting me know its not just me, I was very polite when I spoke to them and agree that because as yet I am not in debt with them maybe thats why they can't help.

Perhaps I'll just get in debt and face the magistrates!:D

Don't do that, they'll charge you £43 for the summons and another £26 for the liability order