Postman leaving parcels outside door (longley)

My girlfriend had bought a new dress of the internet the other day and when she came home yesterday there was a little piece of cardboard through the door saying "parcel outside door"

Now this parcel is nowhere to be seen, we live in a block of flats and any of the neighbours could have picked it up and took it, nobody is owning up to it. Should the postman even be allowed to do this?

She is now £25 down and no dress, and someone has now got a new dress :@

Phone the post office and ask.

I suppose it depends on what type of delivery was paid for by the sender. It wasn't recorded delivery because they need a signature. Regular delivery, they might leave a parcel in a safe place, on the door step is not safe though. When I have received a delivery and not been in it has always ended up back at the sorting office and I've collected it from there.

My girlfriend had bought a new dress of the internet the other day and when she came home yesterday there was a little piece of cardboard through the door saying "parcel outside door"

Now this parcel is nowhere to be seen, we live in a block of flats and any of the neighbours could have picked it up and took it, nobody is owning up to it. Should the postman even be allowed to do this?

She is now £25 down and no dress, and someone has now got a new dress :@

You should go back to the retailer and tell them you haven't received the item and ask for a replacement or refund.

but it is not the retailers fault it is the postman, surely they are not to leave it on your doorstop especially in a block of flats, they are supposed to take it back to the sorting office

but it is not the retailers fault it is the postman, surely they are not to leave it on your doorstop especially in a block of flats, they are supposed to take it back to the sorting office

Maybe or maybe not, but your relationship is with the retailer, who employ the Royal Mail to deliver their goods.

If that delivery has failed then you should advise the retailer that the goods have not arrived and you require a replacement or refund, for goods you've paid for in good faith.

If the retailer doesn't require a signature on delivery then the risk is theirs in my opinion, if they do require a signature and one hasn't been given, then they can pursue the claim with the Royal Mail.

she got it from ebay, so how do you go through that? just rang the sorting office and they are wating for the postman to come in and then they are going to ring back

she got it from ebay, so how do you go through that? just rang the sorting office and they are wating for the postman to come in and then they are going to ring back

I would still refer back to the seller as a failed delivery, presumably the 'little piece of carboard' doesnt have any details on it pertinent to your delivery? If it doesnt then there's little the post office can do to trace it.

You could open a dispute via ebay if the seller is unable to offer redress (pardon the pun), and your girlfriend paid via Paypal but I think you have to wait a month to do so.

My mom has loads of stuff delivered and they put it in her bluebin sometimes don,t even leave a note.

My mom is late 70s and sometimes not even aware that a parcel is in the bin...she rings to find out where her order is they tell her to look in the blue bin. crazy crazy crazy ...

This happened to a friend of mine, the delivery driver left a laptop she bought in blue bin, and put card through door, when she looked - no laptop- and the blue bin was full so she pressumed someone had seen it sticking out of blue bin and whipped it. The company sent a replacement and the delivery driver........yes........left it in blue bin AGAIN!!!! duh

my parcels are always put in the blue bin when im out ... it wouldnt take much for someone to see him put it in there then go get it out when the postman is out of sight. they should take it to the sorting office if your not in. id make a complaint against the postman if i were u its his responsibility to deliver your packages and shouldnt just leave them wherever he wants to he prob just couldnt be bothered to take it back to sorting office

You're quite right to ring the sorting office if the behaviour is unsafe. I complained once because they were always delivering the mail to the wrong address.

As for compensation this is paid by the Royal Mail to the person who paid them. Usually the sender has to claim to then reimburse you. There is a set limit that can claim, may be £25 maybe a fiver i can't remember.

I was in the sorting office in Warrington last week where a man was claiming a phone had been left in the blue bin, and said bin was emptied.

The manager said that if you give verbal permission for the postie to leave parcels anywhere - even once - that is logged and RM are not liable for any loss or damage.

However, because of a rising number of complaints of lost items, posties are being told to either deliver the parcel into the hands of the householder or return it to the office.