Thoughts on the wig and pen

Having only ever been into the pub part as part of a works do and having heard good things about the restaurant I thought I would try it.

I thought the restaurant was tastefully laid out and the menu seemed nice, if pricey though I was prepared for that. I had no trouble getting a seat and everything was going well...

Unfortunately that's about all the positive's I can say. Service was glacially slow even though the restaurant was not particularly busy (were they rearing my meat from birth?). Food portions were on the small side and while I thought my meal was 'ok', it lacked proper seasoning and was definitely on the bland side. About the only good point was how uninterested they were in taking my money at the end of the meal. I could easily have walked out without paying. I didn't, but it did seem odd to me.

Is this a fair representation or was I unlucky? I would really like to know as I had only heard good things about the place before.

Not sure. I had a lunch there recently - steak sandwich. Decent size, nice and rare and reasonably priced. I was pretty impressed, but then it was just a lunch at the bar, not dinner in the restaurant and I probably had lower expectations.

• 2 weeks later...
this is so the best bar in town. really exclusive, great staff, well good food. only people who dont apreciate class must think its bad. stick to places in yore price bracket if you dont like service which is "non-intrusive". when i bin in staff really really good, fun, atentive. must be just you.

How long you worked for them then?

this is so the best bar in town. really exclusive, great staff, well good food. only people who dont apreciate class must think its bad. stick to places in yore price bracket if you dont like service which is "non-intrusive". when i bin in staff really really good, fun, atentive. must be just you.

Sigh. I do appreciate 'class' as you put it. Though 'well good food' 'yore' 'bin' etc seems to speak volumes, at least to me.

Also if you read my comment it was not about the bar bit but the restaurant and as I pointed out I expected it to be pricey (or as you put it 'classy') and as such judged it in that category. It was in my mind, given that, sub standard, since I have been to a good number of such establishments. I was therefore genuinely interested whether anyone else found it that way, as I had previously heard good things about it.

Also strange that this of all posts is your first...

Edited by libertarian
added a bit

How long have you worked there then? We weren't born yesterday...:hihi:

I went into the Wig and Pen, turned on my heel and walked out again. It is a very strange place, with an odd atmosphere. The only person I saw eating looked like a greasy second hand car salesman.

That aside, I've heard that the food is reasonable quality, but I can't say for myself.

I don't think I'll be taking advice on the "class" of any establishment from someone with a post of such poor quality, thank you very much...

Edited by perplexed
added a bit...

Sigh. I do appreciate 'class' as you put it. Though 'well good food' 'yore' 'bin' etc seems to speak volumes, at least to me.

Also if you read my comment it was not about the bar bit but the restaurant and as I pointed out I expected it to be pricey (or as you put it 'classy') and as such judged it in that category. It was in my mind, given that, sub standard, since I have been to a good number of such establishments. I was therefore genuinely interested whether anyone else found it that way, as I had previously heard good things about it.

Also strange that this of all posts is your first...

This is true. Whenever there is a post which is not altogether complimentary about any given establishment, there is a rash of posters with post counts usually under 5, saying how wonderful it is.

Who then vanish forever... Strange 'eh? :cool:

Exclusive? lol lol

I used to work as a glass collector there, many, many years ago (mid eighties) when Wayne was the manager, and the former Mr PT was a bouncer:- sorry, it's an "exclusive" place, isn't it? I meant "Doorman".

(well, he was Doorman and chief chuck-er out-er).

In my time, yes it could have been described as a bit posh, at lunchtime, as all the solicitors, and barristers etc from the Paradise Square area would come in, and eat/ meet clients. But, in the evenings it was just the same as any other city centre pub, packed to the gunnells with young people getting kaylyed.

I really like the Wig & Pen, I think it's got a great atmosphere, decor, drinks selection etc - drinks are a little pricey compared to other places but I don't mind as I consider I'm paying extra for the surroundings.

I tried the restaurant last week and was pretty impressed! Service was good, food was lovely and I thought the price was about right for the portion size and quality. I thought it was a big improvement on when the restaurant was downstairs when portion sizes were definitely smaller and we generally had to wait ages on the service.

My experience was similar to the OP's when I've been (3 times, only first time my choice).

Took ages to take our order, then a ridiculously long time for the food each time. I've had one of the worst steaks I've ever had in there.

I still go in for a pint, but go elsewhere to eat now.

I've been in there a few times with my wife late on a saturday afternoon and it's seemed pretty good - we particularly enjoyed wine & tapas a couple of times and once had a burger.

However when we were in there last Saturday the menu had changed - no more tapas, much more 'english nosh', and there was also a menu for English Pies on the table. There used also to be mentions of wine-tasting evenings in their 'forthcoming events' notices; again, these had gone. Has it changed hands very recently?