Thoughts on the wig and pen

Ignoring the snark and those who failed to note I was asking about the restaurant and not the bar it appears opinions are mixed on this one. Some have had similar experiences to mine and some not. Interesting. I wish the place well, but having read this thread I am forced to conclude my experience was not a one off. Therefore I will not be back.

Shame their staff don't know how to look after ale, either. Or maybe you enjoy cloudy beer, or lager?

Bar is in good beeer guide and camera pub of the year nominated so must look after the beer rite. Maybe you just not know different types and a good pint?

I do really like it, but it has been rather hit and miss for the food. The food has always been excellent quality, but since the refurb / extension the service seems to have suffered. Still a good place to go if you're going for a beer or two of an evening, and the bit in paradise square out the back is nice in the sunshine.

I am one of the owners of the business so thought it might be worth making a couple of comments. Kungfugerbil - I think you make a very good observation. After our extension we laid the bar & restaurant out differently and it took us a while to realise that it wasn't really working for customers (the best laid plans for mice & men & all that...) Both service and atmosphere suffered. Since the new year we have now moved the restaurant back upstairs so that it is on the same level as the bar, and the new rooms off Paradise Square are just available for functions ( they are great for functions/parties of all types by the way - and free to hire). We've had a lot of positive feedback from customers about the new layout, that it has improved ambience and service, so we will be sticking with it.

Libertarian, thanks for your comments, I'm sorry you had a poor experience, we are not resting on our laurels and we have been aware that recently the food quality and timing has been patchy. We have recently hired a new General Manager - Mike, and also a new Head chef - Nick who along with the rest of the team are very committed to getting the W&P back to it's very best both as a bar and a restaurant.

Malcolm

Bar is in good beeer guide and camera pub of the year nominated so must look after the beer rite. Maybe you just not know different types and a good pint?

Just shows how pointless those guides are. My regular is the Sheaf View, so I'd say I do know and like a well kept real ale.

I'd say it's about 50 / 50 whether you get a well kept pint in the W&P

Edit: You signed up just to post on this thread?

Edited by splodgeyAl

I am one of the owners of the business so thought it might be worth making a couple of comments. Kungfugerbil - I think you make a very good observation. After our extension we laid the bar & restaurant out differently and it took us a while to realise that it wasn't really working for customers (the best laid plans for mice & men & all that...) Both service and atmosphere suffered. Since the new year we have now moved the restaurant back upstairs so that it is on the same level as the bar, and the new rooms off Paradise Square are just available for functions ( they are great for functions/parties of all types by the way - and free to hire). We've had a lot of positive feedback from customers about the new layout, that it has improved ambience and service, so we will be sticking with it.

Libertarian, thanks for your comments, I'm sorry you had a poor experience, we are not resting on our laurels and we have been aware that recently the food quality and timing has been patchy. We have recently hired a new General Manager - Mike, and also a new Head chef - Nick who along with the rest of the team are very committed to getting the W&P back to it's very best both as a bar and a restaurant.

Malcolm

I've been a pretty loyal fan of the Wig & Pen since it frist opened a few years ago & have eaten there twice with friends since it had its makeover & extension. Both times the food has been great and the restaurant has been busy, plus I am a scruffy bugger and have never had any issues with staff attitude towards me or friends. SMSM I would be very suprised if they weren't fully booked on a saturday night, if you had a problem with what they told you why didnt you ask?

Have you tried the wig&pen since it re opened, more real ales than before & a lovely little dining room on Paradise Square

So are you a customer or the owner?

Sure I've posted this before.... but, we had our wedding there last year and everyone was fantastic from organising the seating/band/food/drinks/doorstaff/table settings etc and quite literally running round all night keeping us all very happy.

Food was top notch (not that I got much!) and everyone had a brilliant time - I'm very rarely impressed but have to say they made my day.

Just shows how pointless those guides are. My regular is the Sheaf View, so I'd say I do know and like a well kept real ale.

I'd say it's about 50 / 50 whether you get a well kept pint in the W&P

Edit: You signed up just to post on this thread?

Correct, many of the guides are utterly useless.

I found this out a few years ago, when the one and only pub within the Sheffield area (and I mean this loosely) thought worthy of mention in one particular guide was the chuffin' Yorkshire Bridge at Bamford!

Not one, single pub in Sheffield itself was though worthy of a visit.

And yeah, single issue posters are a bit of a pain!