Sheffield sayings and rhymes

This thread has made me giggle like mad - brilliant stuff!

I bumped into a mate who speaks broad Sheffield and, on hearing the news I was going out with an old friend said "It's took tha two daft chuffs long enough to get cooertin!" - does anywhere else apart from here still use 'courting'?

Some of my dad's favourite phrases were:

I cud eyt Dick Monk and Dick Monk's father - they were two big blokes from the Wicker I think

E's offen't 'ooks - If anyone could explain what the hooks were and why illness made you come off them, that'd be fab!

Er weet nooers, that moon-faced un, ten to two legs - physical description at its finest I reckon!

Anyone else have that problem where it's easy to write in Sheffieldish but can't actually speak it?

This thread has made me giggle like mad - brilliant stuff!

I bumped into a mate who speaks broad Sheffield and, on hearing the news I was going out with an old friend said "It's took tha two daft chuffs long enough to get cooertin!" - does anywhere else apart from here still use 'courting'?

Some of my dad's favourite phrases were:

I cud eyt Dick Monk and Dick Monk's father - they were two big blokes from the Wicker I think

E's offen't 'ooks - If anyone could explain what the hooks were and why illness made you come off them, that'd be fab!

Er weet nooers, that moon-faced un, ten to two legs - physical description at its finest I reckon!

Anyone else have that problem where it's easy to write in Sheffieldish but can't actually speak it?

I use the phrase "courting", and "off't hooks" in those same senses, too.

My mother used to use the phrase "I could eat a horse between two bread-vans!" for feeling hungry. i loved that comment, and still use it, myself.

my ex husband, I used to say, had "quart' t' three feet!" as they were like charlie chaplin's! lol

My mother used to use the phrase "I could eat a horse between two bread-vans!" for feeling hungry. i loved that comment, and still use it, myself.

I worked in Leeds for a long time and picked up their version - "I could eyt a scabby-assed donkey and't cart behind it"

Obviously they couldn't afford horses in West Yorkshire until recently ;)

In the 60s a lady moved north to Sheffield. One day she stood at her door calling to her dog."Tha berrar not stan theer an shout that name roun ere Missus " said her new neighbour.Its norra nice word ere!" The dogs name was Chuff! Apparently it was an acceptable name down South!

Hi,

Was the expression "Moonlight Flit" (people who moved out of a house in the middle of the night without paying the rent) just local to Sheffield or is it used in other parts of the country?

Regards

If I'd been out with Dad and we'd missed a meal and felt hungry, he'd always ask.

"Could tha' heyt afe a meight pie,son? Cus I cud Heyt other afe!"

Happy days!

My Grandad used to sing the'' Eyela jackala '' song which was about counting the beats. The ending was:

'' If th'all be willing

I'll bet thee a shilling

There is no more than thirty two''.

How about a favourite of mine when referring to some knowall.

"Eez gorra hee-ad as big as a fifty bob cabbage."

Happy Days!

A slightly risqe one from the late fifties - - sung to the tune of "Ghost riders in the sky"

And all at once a mighty herd

Of red eyed cows I saw -w - w!

Coming out the Barleycorn - n - n!

And trotting down the moor.

Yippee i o-o-o-o-o

Yippee i o -o-o-o-o-!

Night riders in the Sky!

Apologies.

I first heard that being sung on stage at a Working Man's Club by Ron Delta in the late 60s.

Can anybody tell me what a skopodiddle is ? Our mum was always using the word. Must have been something that wriggled a lot

:help:

A scopadiddle was a Lancashire expression. It referred to a flying shuttle on a weaving loom.

How about "supwidee"?

ahlsupwithee if thahtpayin