Sheffield sayings and rhymes

My Dad was a steel melter and always came home tired, sweat soaked and had consumed his daily ration of ale.

Mom fed him mostly on hash or stew and dumplings.

On a Sunday he came back from the pub and his first words were, "Weer's mi four square yards of Yorkshire."

He had his own square pudding tin and he'd eat the full tinful cut into four squares with plenty of gravy on them.

He was a rough man but a good father.

Happy Days?

y dunt tha shut thi kin gob up

My Dad was a steel melter and always came home tired, sweat soaked and had consumed his daily ration of ale.

Mom fed him mostly on hash or stew and dumplings.

On a Sunday he came back from the pub and his first words were, "Weer's mi four square yards of Yorkshire."

He had his own square pudding tin and he'd eat the full tinful cut into four squares with plenty of gravy on them.

He was a rough man but a good father.

Happy Days?

I remember my old granny making Yorkshire pud.

As you say, they were always square. They were bloody delicious with rabbit gravy!

An expression of my father's for a person with a downcast expression was " 'Es gorra face like a rich man's arse"

A crying child was a rooarin chabby

A dirty hovel was a mucky ockrill

You will be chastised was tha'at gunna catch a coppit

Ah, happy days

I remember my old granny making Yorkshire pud.

As you say, they were always square. They were bloody delicious with rabbit gravy!

Do you want Jam or Gravy ?

I remember some days in the early 50's, when times were hard, we got Yorkshire pud with treacle (golden syrup) for pudding after our school dinner.

I remember some days in the early 50's, when times were hard, we got Yorkshire pud with treacle (golden syrup) for pudding after our school dinner.

We ALWAYS had Yorkshire Pud with Gravy before the Sunday Roast during WW2 and after. Maybe it was to fill us up so that we didn"t eat much meat,which was served the next day as a stew.

I don't recall us ever having a roast during the war, perhaps the ration for Mum and I didn't stretch that far. Dad was away in the RAF. We made up for it after he came home though.

I don't recall us ever having a roast during the war, perhaps the ration for Mum and I didn't stretch that far. Dad was away in the RAF. We made up for it after he came home though.

We had an Uncle who was a butcher. Don"t ask me where the roast came from..I only know he always managed to come up with the Sunday Joint.Black Market perhaps?

Oh! and because there were a lot of us, we had more ration books.Food,Clothing,Sweets. Sweet rationing finally stopped in the early 50s when I started work.

Talking of Black Market meat, I remember an odd couple who had a piggery at the top of Chantrey Road.

My grandfather who had a chip shop used to give them all the potato peelings. Every so often, we found that our Sunday dinner included a huge joint of pork!

Would never have thought it after seeing your avatar!

Mike