Have you ever saved anyone’s life?

I once found an old lady, a client of mine, lying in a pool of water in the lounge of her home - an isolated bungalow on the outskirts of a village. Heavy rains had caused minor flooding to her property, and she had fallen and been lying there, immobilised, for two days. Her legs were greatly swollen, and she was very weak.

She refused to go to hospital. I summoned the doctor, who felt that she should be compulsorily admitted to psychiatric hospital. I refused to sign the necessary forms, because she was not mentally ill, but physically ill, and this would have been a misuse of my powers. The doctor reiterated his medical opinion that she was dying, and needed urgent medical treatment in hospital in order to survive.

I organised an emergency visit by the environmental health doctor, who, through my guidance, used an obscure section of the National Assistance Act 1948, which compelled her admission to hospital (on the grounds of living in insanitary conditions).

The old lady was admitted to hospital by ambulance, where she was successfully treated for hypothermia. Through my chance visit, and responses to her situation, I had undoubtedly saved her life. Two months later, she was discharged home to her beautiful cottage in the country. She died 5 years later, peacefully in her sleep in bed at home, aged 92.

We were once driving down little Norton lane, It was a Dark November evening 2003. There was am old lady who was laid on the pavement, I called an ambulance and the emergency Services told me to relay the instructions to my Husband to give CPR/kiss of life,

which he did, The ambulance took ages to get there we kept hearing the sirens and then they would stop, It was rush hour traffic.

But my husband kept on and on, he was amazing.

when the ambulance finally arrived the took her into the back, then they closed the doors and were there for about 10 minutes, then they drove off with the sirens on.

We never did find out what had happened to her, so we don't actually know if it was a life saving story.

was going to call the hospital the next day but never did, wish I had have though.

Originally posted by Tony

Once in a car accident on the motorway. Sadly I couldn't do the same another time when I pulled two dead teenagers out of crashed car. :(

Oh man that must have been horrific.

Sorry to hear that Tony.

I once saw an old lady walking on the hard shoulder of the M1at the Worksop Junction. I stopped & she said she was trying to cross the road; she was very confused so I drove off at the next Junction called the Police & they came and picked her up.

They said it was not the first time she had 'escaped' from the nearby old people's home & that no doubt I had saved her life!

i was a first aider at work and have dealt with many emergencies....

the one that was bad was a heroin addict had used the customer toilets and overdosed. he had managed to walk to the front door and collapsed. i had to do cpr until ambulance came... i then had to help the paramedic treat the guy. they gave him that stuff that brings them round and he dit even care"! it scared the life outta me as i could see in his eyes he was "dead" not a nice look,

i will never help another overdose ever again as the risk is too high

15 yrs in nursing I fear I might have had a hand in a few :thumbsup:

Once stopped a woman being mugged in Worksop town ctr too.

Have given blood too.

Once talked a mate out of killing himself cos he was depressed & skint when I was about 14.

Was saved myself too at age 15 (Christmas) when I was out cold on Vodka in the snow under Kiveton Railway Bridge... Never did find out who the party girls were who carried me to the nearest pub & phoned an ambulance. :( Thankyou

Never saved anyone elses life but had mine saved a few times by others

1st: someone donated me blood

2nd: rescued from a cable car that fell off the rails and was dangling on 1 wheel

3rd: was dragged from underneath a pick up truck after it ran me over and knocked me unconscious.

suppose you could say iv had it saved a few times

:thumbsup:

Archived