The Sheffield gay scene part 2

I fully agree Tyranna, we need another gay venue not necessarily the same as the existing two venues, ie another bar. I think a gay themed cafe would be a lot better for community meetings or events of a cultural nature such as music, art, exhibitions, small theatre etc. - that is an area where the Sheffield gay scene is indeed lacking , and of course performance art and cabaret where your good self could display your talents :love: Well I hope that someone with the resources and location is watching my comments on here and rows in and seizes the opportunity for 2015.

Just to end by saying that myself and my dog wish everyone on the Sheffield gay scene a happy, healthy , prosperous new year and heres to waving goodbye to the ups and downs of 2014 and look forward to new possibilities on the Sheffield gay scene for 2015 !! :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 10-01-2015 at 10:11 ----------

Does anyone know if the gay cafe will materialise? And also I've not heard anything since the bloke came on here who wanted to open up a gay sauna in town ? Surely though the Sheffield gay scene deserves more sophisticated places than a sauna :S

Also I just want to say that I have been avoiding the gay scene in January partly cos its dry January and partly cos it seems to have gotten rather more bitchy of late maybe cos the scene has now shrunk to two venues since the demise of Twist and Fuel and its the same faces in all the time :-(

Does anyone know if the gay cafe will materialise?

Also I just want to say that I have been avoiding the gay scene in January partly cos its dry January and partly cos it seems to have gotten rather more bitchy of late maybe cos the scene has now shrunk to two venues since the demise of Twist and Fuel and its the same faces in all the time :-(

Just to reassure all and sundry, there ARE plans afoot for a Gay community centre at a location around the Pinstone Street/Barkers Pool area of town, but it is still very much awaiting funding. Hopefully the centre will include a cafe but to begin with it might be only a small one at a temporary location before moving to a larger home. Do bear with me on this one, as and when I hear more, I will be happy to inform everybody.

Also, the next LES FEMMES is at Dempseys THIS FRIDAY, 23 January, from 8pm. ALL transvestites, transexuals and even shy 'beginners' who need encouragement and tips for getting dressed 'en femme' are welcome, as I will be able to provide guidance and info.

Also, of course, this Friday (from 10.30) is CLIMAX:

The first event of the year and with it Climax is bringing quite a few exciting announcements! First we have Room 2's legendary DJ Peachy Keen hosting the first Climax of 2015 with her new direction into all things Pop!

Then on February 27th, Climax introduces its brand new resident Foundry DJ - Gaydio's own Kriss Herbert!

Not content with just one bombshell, February's event also brings with it an exciting special guest...but we'll save that info for later!

First, let's get into the swing of things with a party to wash away those January blues and bring out the devil in all of us at Angels and Demons - tickets now on sale online or at the SU Box Office!

Tickets: http://tickets.sheffieldstudentsunion.com/ents/event/6338/

Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/895786787133491/

Is the Shout Centre on Rockingham Lane still there used to go and made a few friend but after moving away stop going so out of loop information wise? With regards to Fuel/Twist seems a shame its gone but the club and pub trade in general is not what it was I'm sorry to say. Just look how many pubs have closed in Sheffield area its a lot do miss the Cossack though.

No, the SHOUT Centre doesent hold the weekly meetings on Thursdays any more, due to funding changes. However, there is a NEW Sexual Health Advice and Testing service run by many of those who used to run SHOUT, and it can be accessed at the Central Clinic on Mulberry Street just near th Crucible in the city centre. Check at the Reception at the Clinic for actual opening times.

---------- Post added 19-01-2015 at 20:45 ----------

FYI the new Gay Mens Sexual Health Advice/Testing service is called PITSTOP PLUS, so look out for notices and leaflets with info on it. Hopefully they will be at the Sheffield University Student Union when Climax is on this Friday, giving out condoms and advice on the stairs going down to the Foundry when you go in.

When I let my dog out the other day and he came back with a flyer in his mouth which has this website http://www.friendsofedwardcarpenter.co.uk/

As February will be "Gay History Month" I thought I would mention the weekend 21st - 22nd February event in the Millennium Galleries, to be staged here on this thread so that peeps can know early to get organised to support it.

It should be very good with lots of activities for LGBT and me and my dog will certainly support it !

Do they cover lost gay venues in Sheffield that in its self would be interesting, Sheffield over the years has seen many pubs and clubs come and go would be nice to see peoples memories and photos.

Thought me and my dog would bump this thread up to inform peeps whats happening on the Sheffield Gay scene, remember this time last year when the fabulous Twist / Fuel was first launched and genuine excitement on the scene? Alas a year on and its closed and back to the usual stalwarts.

Well Icons have a new drag and games night on Wed nights with the marvellous Krystal Ball, come on down and have a go - Tyranna will you be making a guest appearance? :love:

21st/22nd Feb is a busy weekend on the Sheffield gay scene with the local LGBT history month on in full swing at the Millennium run by the council - see here for more info::

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/policy--performance/how-we-will-deliver/other-strategies-plans-and-policies/equality-and-diversity/events-and-festivals/lgbt-history-month.html

Also the Sheffield Out of Office is running a speed social at the Harlequin Sat 21st - £6 at 7pm and food , free drink See more here:

https://sheffieldoutofoffice.wordpress.com/category/upcoming-events/

Dempseys is as busy as ever with Karaoke now running on even more nights, and Icons getting great weekend crowds, yes things look to be picking up steam again for Sheffield LGBT in 2015 !!

Bump bump ?! Don't forget sheffield lgbt history events this weekend at millennium Galleries starts one pm on sat and stuff about edward carpenter and free screening of the film pride on sunday ?!

Icons changing hands and name as of tomorrow.....allegedly.

Edited by jamesogt

:o No is this true?

I had heard a separate rumour actually from a little bird that flies around the bottom of the Moor that Dempseys is to be renamed "Downtown Dempseys" and that they were going to open a new sister bar called "Dempseys West" somewhere?

:o No is this true?

I had heard a separate rumour actually from a little bird that flies around the bottom of the Moor that Dempseys is to be renamed "Downtown Dempseys" and that they were going to open a new sister bar called "Dempseys West" somewhere?

Should be called Downmarket Dumpseys, that'd be more accurate