The Sheffield gay scene part 2

No its not a crap idea,

One good and one bad. Ho hum, everyone has their own opinion but I stand by my thought.

I had a brief chat with a gentleman who says he was in a difficult position. That was why I suggested it. It seems he didn't consider the possibility of contacting gay forum members for advice.

Advertising works and sigs are on every post. If it only helps one, it's better than none.

Up to you. Just trying to be helpful. :)

It is a bit of a narrow view point to put the hopes and dreams of the gay scene in Sheffield into the hands of one venue. Venues in other cities have popular monthly events, attracting different groups of people to clubs and venues for nights. Be it a bear night, an indie night, an electro night, there are things that can be done.

revolution are doing it, Climax are doing it. If things are proper

Y thought out, and the scene works together on publicising these, a diary of events for LGBT people could develop. Whilst Fuel may be looking to come back (or not, who knows) as we saw with the original Fuel and Affinity, a very busy venue can tire and become less popular, that's not necessarily the answer to the question.

In the current economic climate, the fact so many venues have failed is not going to bode well for attracting an investor to open an exclusive venue. Where would they open? Where is an ideal location in a city where the gay venues are dispersed across the city? But creating events which happen monthly like Climax at present could work. However, the first Rah Rah Rah at Stardust Bar was great but lost momentum in my opinion due to the changing venue. A commitment from a venue would be essential at letting word spread and loyalty build.

We have had new clubs and investors.

Affinity - Fail

Sanctuary - Fail

Sorry to say it, but nothing is going to change. I say Fuel because the place is so big, it could be re-opened as something completly different of course/

Affinity hasn`t failed at all, they are now putting on events during the week and at weekends, and they are even doing a Bear`s Night, which hasnt happened in Sheffield since Xes did this many years ago.

Sanctuary changed hands and only failed because it is no longer gay.

Dempseys are also doing more during the week. They are also doing alot for Pride this year with one off events.

Lions Lair - I wont even mention what is happening there as you will simply slag it off. But things are changing at that location.

As someone mentioned Climax and Revolution once a month.

You mention you cannot see any changes in the venues, are you visiting them or just slagging every gay venue off ??

Plus there is a new gay venue - OutOfOffice who hold events during the year.

Fuel coming back - I hope not, last time it started off well, and then I imagine the novelty wore off, they should have never split the venue into 2 and have 2 different music rooms. I have emailed the FB group and had no reply and I notice a few have mailed them and no reply, I doubt they will come back, but who knows, they are certainly not saying much at the moment.

So Aaron, what would you like in a gay venue ?

Hiya everyone

Just a reminder that Viva Climax is on tomorrow!!!

The BBC weather is now saying its going to be sunny so fingers crossed they are right..... but who knows lol

Either way we won't let it stop our fun!!

Loads of stuff going on during the day, starting at 2pm in the interval and interval garden.

Box Office opens at 4pm

Plus Diva Fever will be performing live!!

Tickets are available now from The Students Union Box Office, Online and at Dempseys

£6.50adv (more elsewhere), £7 on the door.

The debate rages on.

Out of Office are holding a debate next month at The Crucible about Sheffield as a city. We think there are pros and cons to Sheffield, and want to encourage people to start thinking about the future of the city from an LGBT perspective.

We will post the details of the event shortly, but think this would be a great opportunity for people to come together to air these issues and share opinions. We hope that perhaps this can move things away from simply underlining the problems as they see them and to try and identify some solutions.

before anyone says yes we only opened 6months only sold because of family death and illness and we earned all our money back and plenty more took over 12k on opening nite

Interestingy the agent who marketed the place after you shall we say "vacated" didn't tell the story quite the same way!

Edited by damo

It looks official then

http://www.fuelclubsuk.com/sheffield/

They been saying that for ages, no dates or nothing at all, just a FB group so far.

Lets hope they do a better job than last time, and no doubt everyone will desert Dempseys, like last time, and then when the novelty wore off with Fuel they went back to Dempseys.

We have had allsorts of gay venues supposedly opening in Sheffield, was there not talk on this thread ages ago about a Gay Quarter, where did that go ????, also talk of Adam opening something, where did that go ?????

I wont believe it until it happens.

Gawd I sound like Aaron, lol.

The text message system worked, and replied when I registered.

In the spirit of community, a much maligned word in the LGBT world, I hope that it succeeds. What Dempseys needs is a bit of healthy competition, and this venue is well located for Lions Lair and Affinity to feed into. What I hope is that Fuel learn from their previous incarnation. A lot of the big gay clubs in the UK, like Nightingale in Birmingham, have had to change their programme and bring in monthly events, get sponsors in to make a quietening Saturday night trade work, clubs like Essential have since gone, it costs next to nothing to get into Heaven these days due to the constant promos around soho. The management will need to keep people interested if a bigger club in a bigger premises is going to survive, as the last thing people want is to rattle around in the place, which is why Dempseys does well, as it never looks particularly dead due to its modest size.

But as I said, I think there is room for a competitor, and maybe it will spark Dempseys into the refurb it needs. I for one wont miss the depictions of a swimming baths changing room that adorn the walls.

Lets hope they do a better job than last time

Why would you try twice, it's only going to go the same way as last time unless Sheffield has altered significantly since last time ?

By opening up the bar next door, I assume the old Gossips? It doesn't look like they have too much intention of sharing the crowd!

If they are like most of the other bar/club duos (GAY) you can bet that they will promote their pre bar to offer extra discounts for their club.

If it is succesful I think it will be the end of Affinity, Dempseys managed to see them off once already and will always keep it's core customers. As it seems a licence has been granted for the new club above the careers building 100 yards away it would seem unlikely their licence for late operating would be declined, the only real objection would be from Jurys.

I can see it creating peoples nights in to their pre bar and club with people then going to Dempseys later on 3am-close. Of course Affinity and Lions may get some spin off from it, but if you are getting in the club free or reduced by drinking with them early we all know what people will do!

I would also say for it to be succesful it is imperative they are opened by mid September to hit the new/returning students.

Interestingy the agent who marketed the place after you shall we say "vacated" didn't tell the story quite the same way!

thats rather funny it didnt go threw a agent when we sold it it was a close friend who bought the club for a different use so iam sorry your very mis informed since our friend had the club as a timber yard has been sold again maybe your getting mixed up with that :hihi: