'Please Vote to Help Raise £25K for Sheffield Wildlife & Countryside Access

Thanks for your email cosywolf. I've voted. Sheffield was currently in 2nd. place when I voted btw.

Have you sent this to all Sheffield councillors by the way?

red

Red, I believe so. it's gone out as far and wide as I and my colleagues can spread it. Our hope is that well-wishers continue to spread the word amongst their friends, who spread the word to their friends, and so on.

So please feel free to pass it on :)

The positive with this kind of competition is that it puts the final decision in the hands of the public

That's a negative. The public is far less qualified to make a fair judgment.

The positive is in the second part of the sentence, which you didn't quote:

"and gives us a much wider scope to campaign and reach a wider audience with our messages and appeals."

I'm sorry this upsets you so much. It's just a simple request to help a local charity out using money that has been put together by some large companies. They could I suspect allocate it out equally amongst all of the charities on their books, but that would leave each charity with no more than a few pounds which would hardly make any noticable difference. At least here they are making a donation that will make a considerable difference.

The intention of my OP was to raise awareness, and thankfully many have followed by passing the message on.

Best of luck to Sheffield & Rotherham Wildlife Trust, hopefully they will have some good news next Tuesday.

I'm not sure there is a 'fair' judgement, in the way that you mean. All of the projects put forward have merit and would be beneficial to their particular area/species. It wouldn't be 'unfair' for any particular one to be chosen over the others (unless the public vote was ignored, of course).

In this case the public need only be qualified in making a judgement about which project they like best.

And as I explained, and Dozy kindly pointed out, the publicity has it's own value.

For us, it is a positive process, whether we win or not.

Though, ideally, we'd like to win :D

I've voted for Blacka Moor. Good cause :thumbsup:

I just voted and posted the poll onto my facebook page. Fingers crossed.

Hi, what are the other 5 charities?
Just click on the link above and there are paragraphs to explain before you vote.

Sorry SWT, looks like you were knocked into joint third.

Better luck next time.

The closing date isn't until midnight on Wednesday 10th February...so keep plugging away, please, everyone!

Tell your friends, add it to your Facebook...we can still do it :)

Visit SWT's Facebook group to find out more