Markets "end" of town and Burger King..

after returning to live in sheffield after 8 years away i thought i would go and have a look what is left of the sheaf/castle markets.

imo this area of town was always traditionally cheaper, friendlier and yes a bit grottier than the rest of the town centre, but you expected to trip over the odd bit of cabbage on your way round :)

but what i didnt expect was the burger king to mirror what i expected to find in the markets.

scruffy would be an understatement...the place was smelly, the floors were so greasy i slipped, the door was knackered and kept blowing open, the tables were disgusting and there was ketchup splattered up the wall that looked like it had been there years.

how do a large chain like this get away with such poor standards?

surely if the BK was on fargate it wouldnt get away with this?

i always thought tho whole point of these chains was that you get the same (supposedly, high) standard wherever the location?

will not be taking my kids in there again thats for sure.

you're right it is an absolutely disgusting place, I have never been a big fan of BK but after my last visit( a few years ago now), I would never go in the place again. It is filthy, I agree though, I don't know how part of a big chain like that can get away with it.

Oh yeah and you have to be careful and watch out for the dirty drug users using BK loos to shoot up!!!!

Aren't they a franchise rather than a chain?

Personally, on the odd occasion I want a Burger King I use the one in the station (a little dearer, but far more pleasant). The Haymarket one just has "something" about it that isn't nice.

if they are a franchise they are still flying the BK "flag", i dont think mcdonalds/KFC etc would let managers/franchisers get away with this.

I think it's alright, it's like the only one of two burger kings in Sheffield? I think.

Plus the staff are really friendly in my opinion.

after returning to live in sheffield after 8 years away i thought i would go and have a look what is left of the sheaf/castle markets.

imo this area of town was always traditionally cheaper, friendlier and yes a bit grottier than the rest of the town centre, but you expected to trip over the odd bit of cabbage on your way round :)

but what i didnt expect was the burger king to mirror what i expected to find in the markets.

scruffy would be an understatement...the place was smelly, the floors were so greasy i slipped, the door was knackered and kept blowing open, the tables were disgusting and there was ketchup splattered up the wall that looked like it had been there years.

how do a large chain like this get away with such poor standards?

surely if the BK was on fargate it wouldnt get away with this?

i always thought tho whole point of these chains was that you get the same (supposedly, high) standard wherever the location?

will not be taking my kids in there again thats for sure.

But how would 'market' end of town people cope if BK was clean?

It's to make people feel at home.. :)

I've lived in Sheffield my whole life and i have always found that whole end of town scruffy, but at least it used to be friendly, sadly this has now changed! it's just thoroughly unpleasant, and in my opinion best avoided!!

I think it's alright, it's like the only one of two burger kings in Sheffield? I think.

Plus the staff are really friendly in my opinion.

There's one at Centertainment too

it's like walking through lagos down there and noone seems to speak english!

there is one on Halifax road aswell.

The last time i went to burger king was about 3 years ago. I had the misfortune to visit the one near the markets, and to cut a long story short i was ill afterwards for 3 days !

My mate used t work at that BK on Haymarket, apparently, the male urinal upstairs leaked into the freezer below it.

Not sure how true, or if its been fixed since, but you get the idea.

The BK at Leppings Lane is nice and clean but the Haymarket one has been dirty for as long as I can remember,

There's one at Centertainment too

it's like walking through lagos down there and noone seems to speak english!

ROFL @ the comparison to Lagos !!!