Instructor at Ice Sheffield-Am I right to feel so angry about this?

For what reason does he need to switch to figure skates? Aside of it enabling him to progress to the next level, whats the purpose of him switching after 7 levels..? Thats the bit I don't understand.

I can understand getting beginners used to both types of skates, but would have thought that would have been done much much earlier.

For what reason does he need to switch to figure skates? Aside of it enabling him to progress to the next level, whats the purpose of him switching after 7 levels..? Thats the bit I don't understand.

I can understand getting beginners used to both types of skates, but would have thought that would have been done much much earlier.

What we've been told is that in order to do some of the complicated turns in this level he will need Figure Skates as opposed to the Hockey Skates he had in the previous level, I'm not sure how accurate this is but we went along with what we were told.

Now it seems that it is a better type of Figure Skate, and I suspect it is that he just isn't good enough which is no big deal with me, as I wouldn't have got past level 2.

What we've been told is that in order to do some of the complicated turns in this level he will need Figure Skates as opposed to the Hockey Skates he had in the previous level, I'm not sure how accurate this is but we went along with what we were told.

Now it seems that it is a better type of Figure Skate, and I suspect it is that he just isn't good enough which is no big deal with me, as I wouldn't have got past level 2.

I think this is the problem with some sports they require more and more expensive equipment as they get better :lol:

Cheap sports even end up quite expensive when you get to a higher level. I played netball, swam and danced at county/ club level and the travel to places/ kits/ team weekends away all add up. I suppose it's ok if its just the one sport you do at a higher level but when it's lots it gets expensive and one has to take priority. I think this is the stage when most people give up and have to choose where they are going to spend their money.

Sounds like your son has lots of fun!

I think you're being a bit harsh there. It's unrealistic to expect him to adapt to figure skates after 1 lesson in them, if all he's ever been used to are hockey skates.

I'd take the skates you've bought in to be sharpened, and get your son to explain the difficulty he felt when wearing them. They can sharpen them accordingly.

Once they've got the edges as he wants them, it'll take a bit of time for him to 'remember' his toe picks - they can be lethal!

Good luck to him!

You've got me there, I will concede I don't have in-depth knowledge of Figure Skating and the intricasies of the footwear to be used.

Likewise, I know very little about the Taekwando he does so perhaps you could advise me on the appropriate clothing for that, then he plays Badminton another night in the week which I'm a little bit more knowledgable on and can help him out on, whereas his trampoling I struggle with and any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated, his football I am fine with and don't need any assistance, the same as with his Scouting.

Also he is struggling with one of his latest X Box games that you may be able to assist with.

Throughout all of these activities though, I wouldn't dream of telling another child that the equipment they were using is making them crap, which is effectively what he was told today.

Sorry if I hit a nerve, I was just trying to say you were wrong to feel so angry, as it seems not be the instructor's fault you got the wrong skates. You admit you don't know anything about the subject and yet you don't even appear to have asked anyone's advice first. Trying to be sarky with me about your lack of knowledge about your kids activities whilst making precisely my point? :huh:. Bit lame, fella.

What I was trying to say is maybe you should take a bit more time to talk to him and his instructors about all these activities and then you'd know a bit more about his interests and what he needs for them?

I endorse what others have said about making sure you have exactly the right skates, fit and size, etc. It sounds to me like the instructor was trying to help you and your son, and you've just taken it the wrong way.

If he wants to play Ice Hockey and he's passed that level, then why not look in that direction?

I can't see why he would need figure skates after 7 levels...

I think after level 7 they start doing moves that are easier on figure skates but it is not impossible to do them on hockey skates but I have seen people with many years skating experience not manage it.

Before you spend any more money I would talk to him and find out what he wants to do.

Figure skating once you get past the levels he is doing now goes to private lessons and a lot of expense.

Hockey he needs to look at the learn to play, house leagues and then if he wants trial for one of the Sheffield teams. Kit is expensive but can be got 2nd hand. Again being on a team is not cheap.

Speed skating is one he probably has not seen. He is already at a level to join the Sheffield club - they usually meet on Sunday mornings. They try and lend as much kit as they can but eventually he would need his own skates - these cannot be used on normal skating sessions - they are expensive but can be got 2nd hand and competing is up to him.

With all the above sports it is worth watching training sessions - its free and you will spot parents and most will have a chat with you about the sports and point you in the right direction for equipment - and seeing if he is interested in any of them. If not he is already at a good level for skating on the sessions an it would be cheaper to go to a session with a friend than have loads of lessons.

Edited by Marber
brain working faster than hands can type!!

Figure skates can be INCREDIBLY painful for a very long time (personal experience)! Also they should be concave ground, so each skate effectively has two blades (edges). John Wilson on Rutland Rd. will advise and resharpen correctly. I also suggest you change instructors! Good or not the last thing your boy needs is an unsupportive instructor.