Instructor at Ice Sheffield-Am I right to feel so angry about this?

I’d like peoples opinions on whether I’m right to feel so annoyed about an incident that happened today at Ice Sheffield with one of their instructors.

My eldest lad has been having Skating sessions there for a while now, he’s progressed through to level 7 and is wanting to get to level 8.

I will be the first to acknowledge that I don’t believe him to be a particularly naturally gifted Skater, but he desperately wants to continue with this and I don’t particularly want to disappoint him.

Before Christmas he (don’t know who told him, presume it was an instructor) told us that he can’t get through this level as he has Hockey Skates and not Figures Skates (note subject of a different thread), we then asked some family members to club to and get him some for Christmas.

He got these off the Internet, they cost them £75 (no idea if this is cheap or not) and he took them to his first session back today.

I could see he was struggling compared to other Skaters, I overheard the instructor saying that he’d get used to the Skates and not to worry about it. Then 10 minutes before the end he asked me to come down from the viewing area as the Instructor wanted a word with me.

I went down only to be met with comments from the Instructor as follows:

“The Skates are no good for what he’s doing”

“They are all-right for ordinary Skating”

“We should put them on Ebay and buy some of from the shop upstairs” (make was named)

“The Blades are the wrong type, there’s no ridge on them”

“It isn’t his fault he’s trying hard”

This went off in front of lots of people, I felt embarrassed for him and myself and I can’t understand why she couldn’t have taken us to one side to tell us this instead of making us feel like paupers in front of lots of people.

I’m also concerned that this was an attempt to get us to use the shop, which presumably will be considerably more than the Internet. I’ve no idea if £75 is cheap or not for Figure Skates.

I have posted a separate post to try and establish the accuracy of what I was being told, I’m just trying to establish peoples thoughts on whether or not the actions of this instructor were appropriate and professional.

I have no idea what level constitutes a skilled ice-skater; it's quite possible that, at high levels of skill, your average bog-standard pair of ice skates won't be good enough.

However, even assuming that to be true, I still would have two questions I'd like to ask the instructor.

(1) Why didn't he tell us that originally instead of just saying "he need figure skates" and not specifying what type?

(2) Why did he tell my kid that he'd be fine and would get used to them, and then change his mind and come and tell me I needed to buy a different pair?

And even if he can answer those satisfactorily, I still won't buy them from the same place that hires the instructor. That's a clear conflict of interest, and he should not be telling people that they need to buy from that shop.

You're being too sensitive. Like you I have no idea if £75 is the right price but they obviously aren't the right thing so perhaps you might have asked the instructor for advice before purchase to avoid such a situation? I'd put it down to experience and get the lad what he needs.

Without knowing the standard of your sons skating, the quality of the skates and the quality of the skates being reccomended it is not possible to have an opinion.

If I'm honest I don't think he will get through this level and I'd prefer them to be hoest and tell him that.

The Skates are Figure Skates and I've asked for advice on ths onanother thread as I have no idea about this.

I might add that I watch a lot of football but I'd have no idea on what are good for certain skills.

I have no idea what level constitutes a skilled ice-skater; it's quite possible that, at high levels of skill, your average bog-standard pair of ice skates won't be good enough.

However, even assuming that to be true, I still would have two questions I'd like to ask the instructor.

(1) Why didn't he tell us that originally instead of just saying "he need figure skates" and not specifying what type?

(2) Why did he tell my kid that he'd be fine and would get used to them, and then change his mind and come and tell me I needed to buy a different pair?

And even if he can answer those satisfactorily, I still won't buy them from the same place that hires the instructor. That's a clear conflict of interest, and he should not be telling people that they need to buy from that shop.

Good post thanks!

You're being too sensitive. Like you I have no idea if £75 is the right price but they obviously aren't the right thing so perhaps you might have asked the instructor for advice before purchase to avoid such a situation? I'd put it down to experience and get the lad what he needs.

I don't think I am, he was really upset and worried about what I'd say whe we were being told.

It isn't obvious that they aren't right, we could e being told this to spend some money when he might never get through this level.

The problem is I don't know if this is the case or not and I will be trying to find out.