What's your favourite "Power Ballad"?

Deavon

Originally posted by Dug

Over the edge by LA Guns.

Judging by some of the suggestions on here, I'm not entirely sure that some people realise what is meant by "Power Ballard".

Can you give us a definitive definition?

I always picture power ballads to be sung by powerful women with big hair and horse like thighs.

However there was 'She's like the wind' from Dirty Dancing. Was that sung by Patrick Swazye???

Originally posted by Deavon

I always picture power ballads to be sung by powerful women with big hair and horse like thighs.

However there was 'She's like the wind' from Dirty Dancing. Was that sung by Patrick Swazye???

That probably counts, I define a power ballad as anything that requires you to clench your fists and/or screw up your eyes while you sing.

Bonus points if you fling yourself about too......

I think that is the problem, it is hard to define. However I wouldn't class GnR Paradise City or Sweet Child O' Mine as power ballards. Nor would I class Summer of 69 as a power ballard, that is more like a "good time" tune.

Remember they still need to be "ballards".

The definitive power ballad would be something like I Want To Know What Love Is by Foreigner.

Originally posted by mojoworking

The definitive power ballad would be something like I Want To Know What Love Is by Foreigner.

Yes! I agree. (Did they ever find out?)

What about 'Kaleigh' by Marillion? Doesn't anyone remember that?

Yes! I agree. (Did they ever find out?)

What about 'Kaleigh' by Marillion? Doesn't anyone remember that?

I love Kaleigh, but the instrumentation and overall feel is more prog/folk (in the style of Jethro Tull) than your regular power ballad has any right to be.