Feed the birds!

Some nice quotes in that article....

"They are charming creatures, and the feeling that we are helping them by giving them food is very strong (I have heard from one person that foxes seem to bow to him after he gives them food). Therefore, if you must feed foxes, please be aware of the above points. Here are a few suggestions, in addition: "

"If foxes frequent your land, you should enjoy their presence and disturb them as little as possible"

It also appears to be have been written by someone in a different country since it refers a couple of times to raccoons and foxes carrying rabies, hardly relevant to the UK!

Some nice quotes in that article....

"They are charming creatures, and the feeling that we are helping them by giving them food is very strong (I have heard from one person that foxes seem to bow to him after he gives them food). Therefore, if you must feed foxes, please be aware of the above points. Here are a few suggestions, in addition: "

"If foxes frequent your land, you should enjoy their presence and disturb them as little as possible"

It also appears to be have been written by someone in a different country since it refers a couple of times to raccoons and foxes carrying rabies, hardly relevant to the UK!

yep, and..

* The most serious problem is that the animals may become habituated to people. As they lose their fear of people, they will become bolder in approaching people and may put themselves in hazardous situations they would normally avoid. Not all people are well-disposed towards wildlife, remember. Those who aren't actively hostile may be afraid of an over-friendly animal, especially a raccoon or a fox, notorious rabies carriers (although raccoons and domestic dogs are more likely to be carrying rabies than foxes are).

* Another concern is that the animals, if fed regularly, will come to depend on humans for their food. They won't starve if you stop feeding them, but they will be hungry and unafraid of people, and could get very aggressive in approaching other people.

* There is always the fact that these are wild animals. They may eat tamely out of your hand for weeks on end, and one day they may be startled by something and bite you. If you are bitten by a wild fox, you should report the injury to a hospital, which will notify the state department of health. You will probably have to get a series of rabies shots, which are expensive and painful (though they are given in the arm and not the stomach). There is even a chance that someone will come out to try to find the fox that bit you, in which case it will have to be killed for tests.

these seem to outweigh the so called "benefits", i.e you think they are nice animals. i think its time to for you to stop tbh. can you not see that? you are indeed that rabies has not been present in this country for some time, but you never know when it might return, for it is still present in other countries across europe and the world. stop being so selfish :rant:

I feed the birds every day anyway but at the moment I'm putting birdcake out at least twice a day to keep up with demand. :)

Like suebeedoo I have six robins atm and six blackbirds too and I'm sure they must use any energy they gain from the food chasing each other around.

I would love to have a black grouse in the garden but the most unusual I've had is a reed bunting. I have had goldfinches and bullfinches every day for the past few years though and they really brighten the place up. :D

The goldfinches do like nijer seed (the only bird I've ever seen eat it) but in my experience no finch or tit can resist sunflower hearts and they're soft enough seeds that blackbirds and robins will eat any that spill. I would recommend dove proof feeders though or it can cost a fortune. (I have a feeder of cheaper seed for them). The birds give me hours of pleasure though and it's worth every penny to help them through the winter.

Right you lot .. I put some bread out this morning .. crumbled it into different sizes (cos I'm kind like that) and the little sods still haven't eaten any !!!

The ground has been frozen and mostly under snow for over 2 weeks now. Can I please ask people to consider putting food out for the birds if they're not already doing so? Dried fruit, nuts, apples or pears that might be a bit past their best, cheese, bacon rind, bits of old Christmas pud etc. Or buy some fat balls, suet treats, peanuts. The birds must be struggling by now, judging by the amount that visit my garden every day. It's a satisfying feeling to know you're helping them and you may even spot a bird you haven't seen before as species that don't usually feed in gardens are coming in from the countryside.

(Wasn't sure if this belonged in "Sheffield" or "General" discussions. Please move it if I've chosen the wrong section. Thank you)

good call irene!

i've noticed they're all pretty hungry!! :nod:

It's important to feed the birds as the more they eat, the tastier they'll be for the local cat population. And of course the more birds they eat, the tastier the cats will be for the local dog population. And so on, and so on......

Thus, at the end of the food chain, when you're tucking into roast spaniel for Sunday lunch, you should raise a glass to those kindly folk who fed the birds and started the whole process going.

Was going to answer a message and then realised that some people simply aren't worth the effort.

Edited by irenewilde

We bought a bird feeder this weekend - after being inspired by my Mum over Christmas - she has lots of birds in her garden, and I always loved / still love watching them.

Decided to get one myself, but was unsure as to if we'd get any birds due to where we live - lots of cats about in Hillsborough!

Really pleased - managed to see robin and blackbird yesterday! Am i likely to get more and more types of birds coming - we live in Hillsoborough anyone else get other types in Hillsborough?

Only shame is I'm out all day so have to wait til weekend to watch them again!

Right you lot .. I put some bread out this morning .. crumbled it into different sizes (cos I'm kind like that) and the little sods still haven't eaten any !!!

There are worse things than being ignored by the birds...

There are worse things than being ignored by the birds...

hahah .. (I'll laugh a bit more as the first bit was too short a laugh apparently) heheh ..

Trouble with feeding the birds on our garden is that the squirrels eat all the food. They decimate the fat balls, and rip the net feeders.

At work however we feed the magpies and rooks they are so funny.

Its not the weather that is the biggest threat to birds its damn cats. I caught one playing with a wounded bird last week. Imagine its surprise when i crept up and volleyed it over next doors privet. hav'nt seen it since. :hihi: