Feed the birds!

Hi, What kind of fat can you use? I ask because I have a leftover ham from christmas, can I just put the rind/fat out for the birds? maybe with some breadcrumbs?

They'll love the rind and the fat!

I have some dried sultanas, will that be OK for Robins and Blackbirds?

I go out in the morning with a bowl of hot water to pour onto the frozen bird bath so it's warm and steaming. One of the Robins jumps in for a splash around, then goes underneath where the snow has melted, hoping worms will be tempted to surface.

Blackbirds will love the dried sultanas as will a lot of other species!

I live in a third floor flat. Is there any way I can safely feed birds? Without something falling down and hurting someone that is?

You can get bird feeders that attach to your window with a sucker. Not sure how secure they are though!

This christmas they've been going and very protective of the apples left on the tree. Been interesting one in particular, I think its a waxwing. Grey, brown and red?

Hmmm. Waxwings tend to move in groups, not singly and I've been checking the Sheffield Bird Study group's "sightings" pages and there hasn't been any sightings of waxwings in this area so far. I'm not saying it couldn't be, but I'd be quite surprised if it was.

I did see an amazing sight walking home today - a flock of 100+ goldfinches in a few trees. You could hear them yards away - I've never seen that many together before!

They'll love the rind and the fat!

So long as the meat has been cooked without salt!

As the RSPB point out "High levels of salt are toxic to garden birds"

I haven't had time to read through all the post, have just put some mixed nuts and fruit out for the birds, does anybody know if they are safe with yorkshire pudding?.

It has been cooked with beef dripping so not sure if that is the same as turkey fat etc.

You really shouldn't feed bread to wild birds, either. As you can imagine, it swells up inside the birds and can do them more harm than good. It is even worse if the bread is white, because it doesn't contain the correct nutrition.

Edited by RobWilson

I know of a chippy that sells the scraps of batter from the fish frier in a big bag for the birds, (scraps or bits as we used to ask for as kids). They love it and it also stays crisp surprisingly long.

WHAT YOU SHOULD FEED THE BIRDS - From the RSPB website;

You've got your feeders in place, but what food should you put out for the birds? Take a look at our list below for some ideas.

While you don't need to put out all of the things suggested, the more variety there is, the more likely it is that you will be visited by lots of different types of birds.

Bird seed mixtures

Good bird seed mixtures contain flaked maize, sunflower seeds, and peanut granules.

Small seeds, such as millet, attract mostly house sparrows, dunnocks, finches and collared doves, while tits and greenfinches favour peanuts and sunflower seeds.

Wheat and barley grains are really only suitable for pigeons, doves and pheasants.

Goldfinches and siskins like to eat nyjer seeds but you will need a special type of feeder.

Bread

Although you can leave out bread crumbs you should only leave small amounts. Brown bread is better than white.

Cheese

Mild grated cheddar will attract robins, wrens and dunnocks.

Fats

Great spotted woodpeckers, thrushes, wrens and tits will eat fats, including suet. But do not use polyunsaturated fats.

Fruit

Chopped apples, pears and other soft fruit (including bruised fruit) will be enjoyed by thrushes, tits and starlings.

Pastry

Cooked or uncooked pastry will be popular with many birds.

Peanuts

Peanuts contain fat and tits, greenfinches, house sparrows, nuthatches, great spotted woodpeckers and siskins all eat them. Crushed or grated nuts attract robins, dunnocks and even wrens.

Salted or dry roasted peanuts should not be used as this will dehydrate a bird quickly

Rice

Brown or white cooked rice can be scattered on bird tables or on the ground. Many birds will eat cooked rice.

Do not use rice that was cooked in salted water or has had water added.

Edited by RobWilson

I live in a ground floor flat and we have quite a bit of greenery outside our living room window and quite a few trees. I have put out a birdfeeder in the summer with some birdseed and fat pellets in and then bought some bird nuts about two months ago as well. I have seen the occasional bird using it but not many, I do have cats so maybe this is the reason why. I have just put some bread out with lots of butter on and cut the crusts off and chopped them up tiny and same with some apples. I have chucked them out of the window onto the snow and they have just gone right down into the snow so Im thinking the little birdies wont get this food and im dissapointed. Short of going out and putting things on a plate on the floor what else can I do.

I love feeding the birds and watching them, but dont know what else I can do. If I get a bird feeder it will just get stolen and as I said I have the bird feeders but dont think they get used much. Any ideas would be great.

We have always put food out for the birds, especially now.

Loads of fat balls, blocks and seed bags in the trees.

We also supply a ground feed of Crumbled Fat Balls, fruit and seed,

Also put a supply in a sheltered area under a hedge.

It's also important to remember to keep water available.

Please keep feeding them

WHAT YOU SHOULD FEED THE BIRDS - From the RSPB website;

Bread

Although you can leave out bread crumbs you should only leave small amounts. Brown bread is better than white.

I do put out brown bread for the birds. Pigeons love it in particular and come back day after day so presumably it isn't killing them.