The York pub, Broomhill - now closed - what is going to happen to it?

colleen

The York pub in Broomhill is now closed.. and I have heard rumours that it is to be demolished and student flats are to be built on the site. I can hardly believe this as Broomhill is a conservation area I thought. Does anyone have any info. on this ?

Colleen

It wants closing down last time I went in a few weeks ago the kitchen door was left open,dirty floors,rubbish behind worktops, a joint of meat left out uncovered other food left out but covered, special offers, blackboards more blackboards, staff miserable, whole place generally grubby. Wonder why there was no customers?

I think I read, and it could have been on the forum that the landlord sold the building and its not going to be a pub. Not surprised the staff looked miserable, pretty hard to motivate yourself if you are working out notice.

The ex-landlord said a lot of things about that pub on the forum...there is still no public information on the fate of the building, unfortunately.

Lots of different stories heard; some say there's a covenant that it can't be a pub in future; others say there's an existing covenant that says there has to be a bar on the ground floor; some say the pub was closing because of lack of trade; others say it was closing regardless.

No truth known from what's been said on here.

My best guess - upstairs to be flats, ground floor to be restaurant with a bar area.

Why it closed - who knows; GF says it was going anyway, but on the last night his partner said that if the pub was as full as then on a regular basis, it wouldn't be closing. At least, that's what she said to me.

Lots of different stories heard; some say there's a covenant that it can't be a pub in future; others say there's an existing covenant that says there has to be a bar on the ground floor; some say the pub was closing because of lack of trade; others say it was closing regardless.

No truth known from what's been said on here.

My best guess - upstairs to be flats, ground floor to be restaurant with a bar area.

Why it closed - who knows; GF says it was going anyway, but on the last night his partner said that if the pub was as full as then on a regular basis, it wouldn't be closing. At least, that's what she said to me.

close, very close.....

and no, I cant say anymore as im about a week behind...

close, very close.....

and no, I cant say anymore as im about a week behind...

As I recall you were playing this "just to let you know, I know something you don't, but I won't tell you what it is" card on the York closing thread.

I don't really see the point. I could guess that someone whose identity is a mystery to me knows what is happening but they aren't telling me without, er, someone whose identity is a mystery to me actually telling me they know what is happening but not telling me.

What I mean to say is, aside from perhaps making you feel a bit more important, your posts on this subject don't really add much, do they?

If there is a real, genuine reason you can't say anything, they it's probably in the spirit of that reason not to give clues. As you are giving clues I suspect there is no good reason other than your own ego, or the fact that you don't know as much as you are letting on, stopping you from saying so.

Personally I think Broomhill has too many pubs. I know there are a lot of students living there, but don't forget that the new Ranmoor, in common with all the new halls, has a much better bar than the old one, in keeping with the University's aim of letting as little student income as possible leak into the wider Sheffield economy. Don't forget also that term time is only 30 weeks out of 52, and it seems to this observer that the pattern of drinking has changed. Whereas students used to drink socially in pubs and stay for an evening, the aim for many these days seems to be to drink as much as possible as quickly as possible before moving on.

I can't see a way a new pub can be made to work, Sure there are things the previous landlord could have done better, but I can see the idea, which was to make it different from the other pubs in Broonhill and appeal to a wider audience. I guess ideally you want a pub that is half The Ranmoor Inn, whilst also being half Scream. Impossible. The York is a big old building that must cost a lot in rent / mortgage and in rates, and I just don't see how you can attract enough people to it to pay for itself. Smaller pubs such as The Tav might be ok, but the York is just too big and expensive to run I reckon.

Still, good luck, mysterious Muzz person.

So..no one really knows what will happen to this building except maybe Muzz!? A case of watch this space. If anyone hears anything perhaps they could post it on the forum? Its a nice old building and it would be tragic if it was developed insensitively. At least its not going to be demolished according to our mysterious friend!