How much money will the Workington bridge architect pull?

The question is in the title.

A bridge will be built there, no doubt about that.

The question is in the title.

A bridge will be built there, no doubt about that.

Think he'll be 'working' on a 'ton' of money :hihi:

Edited by Alcoblog
gross stupidity as normal

Do you mean the footbridge that was opened today? Because the Army built it! And the engineer was a woman - I expect jokes, but it's a good thing to see a lass getting into engineering.

Its just a shame they can't erect a temporary road bridge in as quick a time.

If only Sheffield's damaged roads could have been repaired as quickly after the flooding here.

If only Sheffield's damaged roads could have been repaired as quickly after the flooding here.

How many of Sheffield's suburbs were cut off from everywhere else?

Bit of a difference between a town being cut in half and the only way round is a 30-40 mile detour and not being able to use a couple of roads...there used to beseveral road bridges in Workington,now there's only the one temporary foot bridge..

Probably depends how many people used the road. The time lost to the economy for, what was it, 18 months(?) while the A61 shut was enormous. Workington (a much smaller town - pop 25K versus Sheffield 600k+) will have their road access repaired in a third of the time. Shows what can be done when the will is there.

And the actual architect is unlikely to get a scandalous amount of money. From the architects I know, I reckon it would be fair to say that for the huge amount of studying they put in, the long hours etc they are underpaid. And that's before considering that many have been made rendundant/on 4 day weeks/pay cuts at the moment.

Edited by HotPhil

It will probably be designed by the Local Authority engineers anyway with very little input from Archiects. The look of a bridge is mainly determined by its structural design.

Don't really see where you're going with tis anyway.

Hope you're not suggesting that any company will profit from the floods?

I'm sure all the local companies who are being paid for by the insurers to clean/dry out/repair properties will be working at cost!

It will probably be designed by the Local Authority engineers anyway with very little input from Archiects. The look of a bridge is mainly determined by its structural design.

Don't really see where you're going with tis anyway.

Hope you're not suggesting that any company will profit from the floods?

I'm sure all the local companies who are being paid for by the insurers to clean/dry out/repair properties will be working at cost!

Make it out of Meccano like the superb bridge designer James May does! Get Clarkson to drive a Lambo over it and hamster to have an accident and the job's a good 'un - Beeb wil pay for it all :hihi:

I'd like to thank everybody who has played a part in bringing this bridge to fruition. Just heard on the news that soldiers have worked round the clock and are absolutely knackered. A brilliant effort. :thumbsup: