'Been drinking, sir?'

I think that if the police were honest then the answer is yes. It's just isn't as prolific,publicised or logged for statistical analysis as Xmas/summer purges are.

Maybe if they were honest then it may make people think more about it,rather than just thinking they'll get away with it so long as they don't do anything foolish..as I said I have no issue with them breathalysing people..

So in actuality we do have random stops...

Given that all of the stops mentioned so far have had a reason behind them, that's a ridiculous conclusion.

Given that all of the stops mentioned so far have had a reason behind them, that's a ridiculous conclusion.

So driving a car in a different area to which it is registered is a valid reason for a stop...?

Some interesting stuff here. Recently I had to tell a landlord that Stella is 3 units! Therefore, eight pints of Stella = 24 hours to get rid of it (tho' I suspect after 8 pints of that muck, you'd be past caring anyway :hihi:!)

Good article here.

1 unit = 1 hour to disperse (according to CSI)

So drinking 8- 10 pints or shots probably would keep you over the limit by the time you drive to work.

Trust me .. you need to double that estimate. I've been prosecuted and elected to go on a DD course (a lot of money) It's generally considered that a 125 ml glass of wine (normally around 12.5 %) is one unit but when it comes to beer it's all over the place and you have to be very careful. These can range from 0% for the awful stuff up to 40 % which is up there with spirits. One pint of 'Black Lurcher' would immediately put you over the limit as I think it's around 12% whereas you could spend all day drinking 'Kaliber' and take part in Le Mans 24 hour race in the evening with no detriment. People need to be made more aware of the APV :)

I think that's the main point of all of this - it is very dangerous to make assumptions re the body's ability to process alcohol - everyone is different - but more to the point it is more dangerous to assume the units of alcohol in a drink - traditionally a 125 ml measure of wine at (i think) 9% is one unit - most wines are much stronger, and a usual small glass of wine in a pub is 175ml so a standard large glass of wine (250ml) is about 3 units depending on the strength of the wine

I forget the equivalent alcohol measure for beer/lager but most "normal" beers are more than 2 units a pint

Food/coffee etc doesn't alter the level of alcohol in your system, it only (marginally) alters the rate of absorption - it never "soaks it up"

So driving a car in a different area to which it is registered is a valid reason for a stop...?

Anything out of the ordinary is valid reason for a stop. Frankly, if I had my way, "we want to check if you've been drinking" would itself be a valid reason for a stop, and this whole argument would be moot.

As far as I was aware "we want to check if you've been drinking" isa valid reason for the police to stop you

There is a myth that there has to be a suspicion of an offence before the police can question you - that isn't true

Anything out of the ordinary is valid reason for a stop. Frankly, if I had my way, "we want to check if you've been drinking" would itself be a valid reason for a stop, and this whole argument would be moot.

I have no problem with that (as I said earlier) but instead of making up silly reasons why don't they just tell it straight... ?

I am not condoning drink-driving, far from it, but I am sick of this over zealous attitude from the police and government when it comes to the motorist.

Yep, im with you on this. There is a big difference between having traces of alchohol 'in your system' from the night before, and being drunk.

Yep, im with you on this. There is a big difference between having traces of alchohol 'in your system' from the night before, and being drunk.

Well if it's traces, you shouldn't be over the limit. If you're over the limit you're as guilty as someone who's just left the pub with similar levels.

I agree it's a hard one to call, see my earlier posts, but they're all the same in the eyes of the law and I guess equally impaired to drive

Well if it's traces, you shouldn't be over the limit. If you're over the limit you're as guilty as someone who's just left the pub with similar levels.

I agree it's a hard one to call, see my earlier posts, but they're all the same in the eyes of the law and I guess equally impaired to drive

ditto that. If you fail a breath test your legally drunk.