Barriers at Sheffield Station - Application Rejected (Nov 2009)

Here's my idea, on what to do now that there wont be barriers in Sheffield (shame really)

1. Introduce standard fare for those that cant get out of bed/ too lazy to queue for a ticket of £50 single and a nice name and address in the local paper and all local stations, this seems to work in Birmingham and other areas, and also go for prosecution.

2. More manual ticket checks at Sheffield Station with BTP officers charging those who dont have tickets with the appropriate CRIMINAL offence and these people taken to court and either fined or imprisoned (fine is £1000 aor 3mths in prison), and barred from Sheffield Station, or even all stations in South Yorkshire.

This way the new bridge would be paid for by those commiting the offences..

Can they not just install ticket barriers at the bottom/top of the stairs leading to the platforms? No extra bridges needed, no extra staff standing about, everyone who has a ticket gets the train, those that need to cross the bridge can do.

I'm guessing that this option wouldn't work on the regular occasions that the platform for your train is changed. Its not unusual for you to need to go back up onto the bridge and move platforms, I'd say it happens to at least one service most times that I'm in the station, and the barriers don't allow for you to keep putting the ticket through. They'd therefore have to have staff open the barriers each time it happens, which I suppose would defeat the object

EMT could always instal a barrier on Platform 1 if they wanted, and ensure all their trains use it. But of course, that would be too easy.

EMT are installing the barriers as they run the station and they have to as part of their contract with the Government. If any of the other TOCs were running the station, they would be the ones installing the barriers. The barriers are being installed to reduce the amount of fare dodging from/to Sheffield on all services, not just EMT.

Besides, there's often at least three EMT trains in the station at once (the Norwich-Liverpool and Liverpool-Norwich trains are both scheduled to be in Sheffield at the same time), so they won't all fit on one platform.

* Apart from the one which according to PT, disagrees with the plans that much they won't let her tell us which one it is.

I'm guessing that this option wouldn't work on the regular occasions that the platform for your train is changed. Its not unusual for you to need to go back up onto the bridge and move platforms, I'd say it happens to at least one service most times that I'm in the station, and the barriers don't allow for you to keep putting the ticket through. They'd therefore have to have staff open the barriers each time it happens, which I suppose would defeat the object

They would always have to staff the barriers anyway.

UPDATE -

A little birdy tells me EMT are to either build a brand spanking new bridge without access to the station, or do up the old bridge at the South end as that already as no access to the station.

Whichever, barriers are to be installed!!!

G.

Wooot! Still no barriers, excellent news. Has anyone ever asked them why they dont put barriers at the tops of the stairs down to the platforms instead of on the entrance/exits to the bridge? And what will they do about access to platform 1 from the Sheffield Tap?

UPDATE -

A little birdy tells me EMT are to either build a brand spanking new bridge without access to the station, or do up the old bridge at the South end as that already as no access to the station.

Whichever, barriers are to be installed!!!

G.

And whichever, a new bridge or refurbished bridge voids most of the arguments against barriers, so no one will mind.

Agreed.

G.

Wooot! Still no barriers, excellent news. Has anyone ever asked them why they dont put barriers at the tops of the stairs down to the platforms instead of on the entrance/exits to the bridge? And what will they do about access to platform 1 from the Sheffield Tap?

There are 2 entrances to The Sheffield Tap. The one from platfom 1 is occasionally locked already

i've got a sneeky feeling that a deal has been done, the old bridge will be torn down and replaced with an open sided affair which would allegedly improve security. it still leaves numerous questions

1) who's paying? it'll either be local govt or national govt that's for sure

2) no ramps lifts etc

3) still miles to walk around the diversion so often mentioned at begining of this mass debate.

The point is

side (a) get their bridge,(where they don't want it) and at enormous cost to tax payer either through council tax or govt subsidy to stagecoach to build it

side (b) get their barriers. to stop fare evasion.

Everyone happy ???? thought not

EMT could always instal a barrier on Platform 1 if they wanted, and ensure all their trains use it. But of course, that would be too easy.

Besides, there's often at least three EMT trains in the station at once (the Norwich-Liverpool and Liverpool-Norwich trains are both scheduled to be in Sheffield at the same time), so they won't all fit on one platform.

With resignalling of that part of the station (such as exit of northbound trains to Leeds or Neville Hill) they can use the island with platforms 6-8.