The Times starts PC bans Xmas seasonal reports

I don't think that's right. IIRC they once called the period of time between November and January "Winterval" about 10years ago. This was done mainly because there were so many events taking place in that period that were not mainly to do with Christmas.

Seems quite sensible to me, and, if I had a choice, I'd prefer "Yuletide" to be brought back into use, not being a Christian myself.

You're right Ruby. The Winterval idea was just to keep people spending outside of the normal Christmas shopping period. The Christmas lights were still there, and happy/merry Christmas signs were still there. After living in Birmingham, I can confirm that Christmas was not banned. Even the town hall had a massive merry Christmas sign on it. But people do love a good moan, don't they?

But, like you, I personally am not concerned with the Christmas side of things, as I'm not Christian. I do, however, appreciate the winter holiday time. I think that we need the break to catch up with family and friends. I couldn't care less what the period is called, as long as we have it. :)

You're right Ruby. The Winterval idea was just to keep people spending outside of the normal Christmas shopping period. The Christmas lights were still there, and happy/merry Christmas signs were still there. After living in Birmingham, I can confirm that Christmas was not banned. Even the town hall had a massive merry Christmas sign on it. But people do love a good moan, don't they?

But, like you, I personally am not concerned with the Christmas side of things, as I'm not Christian. I do, however, appreciate the winter holiday time. I think that we need the break to catch up with family and friends. I couldn't care less what the period is called, as long as we have it. :)

I never said that it was banned; they backed down after the outcry the idiotic proposal caused.

I never said that it was banned; they backed down after the outcry the idiotic proposal caused.

There never was a proposal to ban it, idiotic or otherwise.

I do, however, appreciate the winter holiday time. I think that we need the break to catch up with family and friends. I couldn't care less what the period is called, as long as we have it. :)
Hiya, m8, long time! I so agree. I love the Christmas celebrations of course, but Winterval could incorporate Halloween, Bonfire Night, Christmas itself, Yule, New Year, Jewish and Chinese New Years, Divalli, Ramadan, and probably some others I can't recall. We could have a whole two months of fun and celebrations! Good times!

On topic - the OP seems like a bit of a non-event. It's not actually happening.

There never was a proposal to ban it, idiotic or otherwise.
Oh yes there was a female member of the council was interviewed on TV news defending the proposal.

On topic - the OP seems like a bit of a non-event. It's not actually happening.

yup

although you look at linesman and.............whatever you say......its banned, they backed down etc etc

Oh yes there was a female member of the council was interviewed on TV news defending the proposal.

I remember a member of the council explaining that Winterval had nothing to do with abolishing Christmas, and indeed that Christmas events comprised the majority of it. Is that the interview to which you refer?

No. It did happen.

But on looking for the old post about it, I find that someone must have been embarrassed enough to cover their tracks.

If you look at this post:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=5583327&postcount=10

You will see three links.

The first link now takes you to a Google note to say that the cached page cannot be found.

Originally, it took you to a cached page that was substantially the same as the second link, but was headed "City Lights Switch on Party".

Someone on the Event Sheffield website has arranged for the old page to be removed from Google Cache.

Perhaps it was in error? Perhaps not?

Strange! But I note that even when the main headline was "City Lights", the word "Christmas" was still very prominent - though not as prominent at the big Christmas bauble at the side!

If it was a supposed attempt to be PC by not mentioning Christmas, it wasn't very successful.

Strange! But I note that even when the main headline was "City Lights", the word "Christmas" was still very prominent - though not as prominent as the big Christmas bauble at the side!

If it was a supposed attempt to be PC by not mentioning Christmas, it wasn't very successful.

Wasn't it really an attempt to show the difference between the Meadowhall lights and the City Centre lights? Some people are just too anxious to make out that everything any council does is an attempt to be PC. What makes me laugh really is that most of the time the people that make the most noise about this stuff would never see the inside of a church anyway.

Wasn't it really an attempt to show the difference between the Meadowhall lights and the City Centre lights? Some people are just too anxious to make out that everything any council does is an attempt to be PC. What makes me laugh really is that most of the time the people that make the most noise about this stuff would never see the inside of a church anyway.

Ahhh, that's not the point though. The point is to moan about stuff that really doesn't affect their lives. God forbid that they may one day look around and think 'wow, I'm lucky to live in a place that's pretty good really.'

If all people have to complain about is trivial things like the naming of Christmas lights, then they really are quite lucky. Although they don't seem to realise it. :rolleyes:

A church is where ever you care to practice your faith. A lot of Christians may never leave their home but still go to church ;)