Elvis was over rated

epiphany

So were video recorders and black and white televisions but just like Elvis they're outdated now.

If he was around today and went on the X Factor he wouldn't even get past the first round.

So X Factor is a yardstick for talent is it, I think you better leave this thread alone mate and dig out your Steve Brookstein album.

Elvis was OK in the era he was in, but he would seem rather old fashioned today. He certainly could sing, but I prefer the crooners like Sinatra. Just two different types of singers innit ?

Elvis's music spanned three decades, his readings of other peoples songs have become the definitive versions due to his excellent vocals.

Whenever I think of Elvis...I think of very drunk people who look as if they have one foot nailed to the floor.

On a lighter note:D Elvis did nothing for me as a kid but to make comparisons with the dross of today is a crime.

Overall i'm with Kemble on this one. He rose off the back of musical apartheid.

To say we wouldn't have had the Beatles if he hadn't been around is plainly musical ignorant.

Edited by Alien

Elvis's music spanned three decades, his readings of other peoples songs have become the definitive versions due to his excellent vocals.

This.

Elvis never stole anything. Poor songwriters were begging Elvis to record their songs because they were guaranteed good money in royalties.

I know my Elvis stuff and it always amuses me when somebody with a tiny snippet of knowledge says something to me like, "Elvis stole 'Hound Dog' from Big Mama Thornton!"

They soon shut their traps when I inform them that "Hound Dog" was written by two rich white jews from New York.

It's said that everybody's entitled to an opinion. Some people don't know enough about it to have one.

Next time I see Elvis shopping in Meadowhall I'll show him this post and I hope he kicks your head in !!:huh::huh:

Elvis is so ungood. I don't understand what people like about him or his music. He is, sorry WAS, a pretentious moron and his music is dull as dishwater. In fact, dishwater is as bright as the sun compared to Elvis "the dullard" Presley.

That's not just opinion, it's uber FACT (look it up).

And all those sheepy sheepy Elvis fans who go to those conventions pretending to be Elvis - my eyes roll so much for you it hurts. You're not Elvis. Stop being Elvis.

Nyyuugh *orgasms in contempt*

Discuss.

What do you mean "he was crap, and got where he got because of other people's work"

I don't agree with his being crap - but unquestionably, he got where he got because of other people's work; the work of the untold number of black musicians who'd been doing exactly the same stuff for years, but were completely ignored because they were black. Then all of a sudden, a white guy does it and gets credited for "inventing" it all.