Barnsley Walking Group

Oh, about a week... It's actually a branch of the Sheffield 20s and 30s Walking Group so will be run in conjunction with them for a while. Had just 8 last week but it can get up to 30 sometime, depending on distance, location etc! Expecting a lot for this Sunday's walk... Walks generally around 10 miles give or take a few!

Pop along and try it out, friendly bunch :)

I might just do that. I am thinking of going home this weekend, which is not a million miles from the walk you have planned, so I might come along and see what it's all about.

Do we have to bring a Birth Certificate? also as soon as you turn 40 do you have to leave the group?

Do we have to bring a Birth Certificate? also as soon as you turn 40 do you have to leave the group?

No, like Logans Run, you are implanted with a chip in your hand when you join. As soon as you reach 40 it glows red and you have to drown yourself in the River Don.

Seriously though I struggle to see the point of groups which cater for distinct age groups as though people of all ages couldn't get on together, find shared interests and have a good time.

One of the SF Walking Group's all time characters was Albert T. Smith who was knocking on 70 when he used to come out with us but still shared a laugh and a joke and an anecdote at the end of the day.

Age does not equate to common ground. We are all individuals and a social grouping encompassing all different ages, backgrounds, beliefs, etc is surely an ideal.

(Ooooh, hark at me getting all serious, I'll be mentioning "diversity" and "inclusion" next) :D

Seriously though I struggle to see the point of groups which cater for distinct age groups as though people of all ages couldn't get on together, find shared interests and have a good time.

One of the SF Walking Group's all time characters was Albert T. Smith who was knocking on 70 when he used to come out with us but still shared a laugh and a joke and an anecdote at the end of the day.

Age does not equate to common ground. We are all individuals and a social grouping encompassing all different ages, backgrounds, beliefs, etc is surely an ideal.

(Ooooh, hark at me getting all serious, I'll be mentioning "diversity" and "inclusion" next) :D

That's what happens to you when you get over 40, you'll be asking for a pipe and slippers next for Christmas(he's already got the dressing gown) :hihi::hihi:

Don't forget children either Taxman, even 19 year olds are welcome on our walks.

That's what happens to you when you get over 40, you'll be asking for a pipe and slippers next for Christmas(he's already got the dressing gown) :hihi::hihi:

Next he will be asking for his own room to read in

Are you getting grouchy in your old age ;):D

Well i think it's a bad advert to the Ramblers if this is a sub group, as a pensioner @ 46 i would like to think if i'm struggling on a walk that my fellow (cough) walkers would hang around for me :)

Either way it is a system that seems to work... Funnily enough it's usually those 40+ that seem to have a problem with it :P

Besides, there is no strict cut off point, no birth certificates required and nobody thrown out. Usually just quicken the pace and leave the oldies behind... :hihi:

Usually just quicken the pace and leave the oldies behind... :hihi:

Ya better hope ya not car sharing then, with the oldie driving:hihi:

well i dont have a problem with age groups people tend to use these groups as a way of getting out into the countryside and meeting new people but they mainly want to get to know people within their own age group, i can understand why there is a range group. The sheffield ramblers do run a 40+ for those who feel farmer boy has caused age discrimination. Good luck with the group i do know the sheffield 20-30's is very successful,