The London bombings 7/7/05

You say the government have done nothing, but they have been expecting an attack like this for a long time. The emergency services, hospitals and government officials knew exactly what they were doing and swung into action immediately, calming the situation and saving lives. They stuck to a well thought out and rehearsed plan.

I put my hand up and admit that when they were rehearsing for a terrorist attack I thought it was scaremongering - I'm now sorry and pleased they had done that, as I think it saved lives.

Its a dark time but I am very proud to be British right now.

Originally posted by kathythebean

You say the government have done nothing, but they have been expecting an attack like this for a long time. The emergency services, hospitals and government officials knew exactly what they were doing and swung into action immediately, calming the situation and saving lives. They stuck to a well thought out and rehearsed plan.

I put my hand up and admit that when they were rehearsing for a terrorist attack I thought it was scaremongering - I'm now sorry and pleased they had done that, as I think it saved lives.

Its a dark time but I am very proud to be British right now.

I agree K. One thing that really stood out to me yesterday was how calm everyone seemed to remain. The emergency services can only be praised.

Unfortunately, we can't defend against these attacks completely. There always has and always will be a threat from somewhere. Intelligence does have its limits so all we can do is have a contingency plan for the aftermath. That's exactly what we had yesterday, and it saved lives.

Well said "Andy 78"

The Aftermath? and what should be done now?

All praise to the emergency services in the way they responded. Their prompt reaction undoubtedly saved lives.

The news of 50 deaths and the terrible injuries suffered by survivors is very distressing.

We are all looking for a response, a way in which we can express our anger and outrage. I am grateful to Rubydazzler for pointing a way forward, when she posted -

Originally posted by rubydazzler

We naturally grieve for our compatriots who suffered but carry on as normal, that should be our answer to these utterly inhumane and senseless acts.

Indeed, let us all carry on as normal, and not bow to the terrorists.

Originally posted by sheffco

Well said "Andy 78"

The Aftermath? and what should be done now?

What should be done, is alrady happening. Search for those responsible.

As Ruby said, we should carry on our normal lives to prove that we won't live in fear.

Originally posted by Bully_Beef

What are they supposed to do? Go and root out terrorists themselves? The vast majority of Muslims (like some of my friends and neighbours) are ordinary decent folk whose religion teaches them peace and tolerance, and would never dream of doing something like this. This should be so self-evident that The Muslim Council of Britain should not even have to make any statements, they are already bowing to public pressure when they do so. Do we expect the Christian Church to apologise for every lunatic or dangerous cult who invokes the bible?

I am with Bully_beef on this.

The so called "Reverend" Ian Paisley isn't expected to form witch hunts every time a loyalist commits a terrorist act for instance.

- or less controversially, the Arch Bishop of Canterbury is not expected to act against every crime committed in this country by CofE members. (He would not have time to do anything else if he was)

All decent people abhor terrorism, it isnt necessary to keep on saying so, although the British Muslim organisations are expected to do it every time....

Originally posted by Zamo

It would also be a meaningless comparison if terrorists had not just bombed our capital city claiming it as revenge for invading Iraq.

Have you got the inside track then? You know who it was and why?

Do share

Originally posted by JoeP

Mod. Note

After this thread got abusive in a couple of places, and a few folks went for some politicing, I've cleaned out some posts.

I've also banned a couple of users from both sides of the political divide because they just didn't take on board the warnings that were posted here yesterday.

So, please, this thread is not the place for taking cheap political shots of any type, it is not for personal abuse, it is not for foreign policy debate. Other threads are running on those subjects - use them.

Thanks,

Joe

I had made my posts above before reading this.

So sorry if I have offended anyone.

However, who said you get to decide?

My understanding is that you are meant to moderate and stop people from typing inappropriate things, committing illegal acts through copywrite or libel etc.

I am not sure your power runs to deciding what we are allowed to talk about on a thread about the London bombings.

This is one of the most important things to happen to us in a long time and we deserve time and space to discuss it in all its aspects.

It was bad enough when the politics section was pulled - that section allowed us with political opinions to debate together in splendid isolation, but if you wont let us debate on such a topic in the general chat area either then I do not see any point in taking part in the Forum any more.

That is what I come here for.

Mod. Note

Belle, your fellow posters help us to decide and I've had a truckload of PMs and comments asking us to keep the thread away from the contentious and the offensive.

If someone posts something that is almost an incitement to commit assault, then we have to act to remove that post. If other posts are made that are basically insults to other forum members, then again we will remove them.

Check out the Forum rules and the Terms and Conditions.

Thank you,

Joe

Guest karenjane39

I agree with you entirely Joe.

If the laws of this land acted in the same manner as the moderator of this forum then maybe the events of yesterday and their like would happen less often.

Those seen to be slagging off the west should leave this country altogether.

Other countries wouldn't put up with it. But no, Britain has to worry too much about human rights.

Human rights ARE important, before anyone starts, but lets think more about the human rights of the victims yesterday rather than the perpertrators.

Mod:

Now can we go back to the purpose of this thread?

What measures do people think can be taken to prevent further incidents of this kind and should issues of race relations or 'civil rights' be allowed to get in the way?