The Sheffield Tap pub - railway station bar

Lady R and I thought we'd give this place a try on the way back from the Kelham Island Christmas Market, only to find that it was shut, with a sign saying "OPEN MONDAY" on the door. No explanation as to why it was shut all Sunday, and we weren't the only disappointed ones as there was a steady stream of potential customers, all baffled as to why there were lights on inside and staff behind the bar yet the doors were locked.

Not the most customer-friendly start to a new venture; pubs that keep unreliable hours and open and shut at the whim of the landlord rather than the customers don't tend to last long.

Edited by BasilRathbon

They seemed to be having problems with the till on Sat, maybe it was that. Let's hope they get it sorted anyway whatever it is.

They seemed to be having problems with the till on Sat, maybe it was that. Let's hope they get it sorted anyway whatever it is.

I tried to go again on Sunday as I had time to kill between connecting buses and found it shut, there appeared to be a load of workmen in there doing stuff around the bar area.

I guess when they opened Saturday night it wasn't 100% ready. I did notice the glass rinsing fountain thing on the Bernard beer font wasn't draining, this may be one of the things benefiting from attention on Sunday.

Cannot wait to try it. It is about time we had something different

I understand that the opening on Saturday night and today are live test runs, as of course it was the first time in over 30 years the place has been open! Teething problems found Saturday were being fixed on Sunday, then the private launch party is Tuesday night, with the pub beginning it's opening proper on Wednesday all being well.

Went to the launch party this evening.

The beer selection really is exceptional and I hope to god they can keep it in the same condition as it was tonight past the first few weeks. We work in the Electric Works opposite and the immediate area is so desperate for a proper beer house / after work stop-off that this is a godsend.

The setting is very traditional and it's certainly got loads of character - reminded me of some of those impressive Victorian city centre boozers in Liverpool. On the downside I found the seating arrangement pretty uncomfortable and didn't get the impression I'd want to hang around too long chatting.

The big downer though is that they were playing god awful music and in a big high room with terrible acoustics it's just a waste of time. Mind you it was a party and maybe they'll not bother with music normally. I hope not cause it's got real potential otherwise.

I don't know if they are planning to do food. They had some on tonight but it was just party food (very good mind you). I really hope they can knock out some good grub as well as the beer. The area is completely crying out for a decent Friday afternoon lunch spot and I'm sick to death of M&S salads.

Ian

From what I was told food will be limited to toasted paninis, sandwiches and cakes. Also in a few weeks 4 of the handpumps will be given over to interesting guest ales from around the country, with 4 always hosting beers from Thornbridge Brewery.

Looked through the windows this morning. Looks good. Will be sampling tonight!!

I cant wait to try it oot realaly hope its a big success

in there now having a lunchtime coke. lots of beers and a thoroughly nice place. might be my new fave.

The big downer though is that they were playing god awful music and in a big high room with terrible acoustics it's just a waste of time. Mind you it was a party and maybe they'll not bother with music normally.

Lets hope so. Nothing I despise more in a pub/bar than blazingly loud music.

On Saturday night it was just ambient background music rather than the 'party' style music last night. I presume the ambient stuff will be the norm.