The Sheffield Tap pub - railway station bar

Should be good, promises to be.

Once the ticket barriers go in I imagine the door onto the platform will be for emergency use only, with all access via the main front door on the street.

i know i will be less inclined to pop in when waiting for a train if it means having to walk outside through the barriers and back again dealing with the inevitable non working ticket barriers

Should be good, promises to be.

Once the ticket barriers go in I imagine the door onto the platform will be for emergency use only, with all access via the main front door on the street.

Perhaps they could have a ticket barrier on the platform a little way in front of the new bar exit and similarly in front of Burger Ming.

It'll be a shame if it's like the Hudders bar where you can't usually get to it via the platform. Ideally I want to sup the last dregs of a creamy pint just as the train pulls in, then nip outside on to it.

I wouldn't worry about ticket gates yet as I doubt they will appear before the new year, so when the bar opens in December they won't exist.

Some more info from the manager...

The building

The key features for the building being listed were the vaulted ceiling, the tiled walls and the bar front and back. These have been retained but were in a state of disrepair due to lack of use and a leaking ceiling. These features are currently being restored. Much progress is expected in the coming week as the ceiling will be finished and the bar, which has been restored off site, will have begun to be fitted by Leeds based company Andy Thorntons.

The bar

This will be the second bar we will have opened, the first being Pivo Cafe Bar in York [http://www.pivocafebar.com/sheffield-tap.html] which has just won a Publican award for it's beer range. The website also has some information about the Sheffield Tap. We will have 8 hand pull taps, 12 draught keg taps and around 200 bottled beers from around the world.

You may have read coverage in the Sheffield Telegraph about a month or so ago about this project. A company called Pivo Cafe Bars has a grant from the Railway Heritage Trust to restore the old First Class refreshment rooms at Sheffield railway stations with it's ornate tiling, plasterwork and wooden panels and open it as a proper pub (although I anticipate it being a quality blend of classic and contemporary style).

A range of real ales will be available with 4 Thornbridge beers on handpull plus a number of guest beers, there will also be an excellent range of International beers including a massive selection of bottled beers and some nice stuff on tap including Bernard Lager.

The main entrance to the pub will be on Sheaf Street (just to the left of the ticket office where the pavement is wide) and there will also be access to the bar from platform 1b for rail passengers.

A provisional opening date appears to have been announced - 5th December.

http://www.pivocafebar.com/sheffield-tap.html

This is an excellent idea, as Sheffield Midland Station is unusual in being one of the largest in the country without a licenced bar.

I assumed that the reason why there was not one, was because of the football crowds passing through the station every weekend of the season, which would mean any bar would have to be closed every Saturday and lose a lot of business.

For some time, I had been thinking along the lines of: 'Wouldnt it be a good idea if the old listed Refreshment Room on Platform 1 could be reopened as a licenced bar'. I was passing through Chester station a few weeks ago, and they have an absolutely superb bar in the old station building just near the entrance. Looking forward to this on in Sheffield station, whenever it happens....:D

Ohh, I've always found it odd that there's no bar in our station when there seems to be in most others. I've been in Pivo's bar on Patrick Pool in York a few times and it's not a bad place; looking forward to the new one.

Missing the train to Barnsley will be much more of a pleasure now. Somewhere to go and ironically a likely reason i will miss the train.

You may have read coverage in the Sheffield Telegraph about a month or so ago about this project. A company called Pivo Cafe Bars has a grant from the Railway Heritage Trust to restore the old First Class refreshment rooms at Sheffield railway stations with it's ornate tiling, plasterwork and wooden panels and open it as a proper pub (although I anticipate it being a quality blend of classic and contemporary style).

A range of real ales will be available with 4 Thornbridge beers on handpull plus a number of guest beers, there will also be an excellent range of International beers including a massive selection of bottled beers and some nice stuff on tap including Bernard Lager.

The main entrance to the pub will be on Sheaf Street (just to the left of the ticket office where the pavement is wide) and there will also be access to the bar from platform 1b for rail passengers.

A provisional opening date appears to have been announced - 5th December.

http://www.pivocafebar.com/sheffield-tap.html

Brilliany news, not only for the train station, that hasn't had a bar for years now, but also for me! I love Pivo in York - just the best beers available, well priced and a great atmosphere!!! Can't wait!!!

hopefully someone will be able to refurbish the old dining room as well that place must have been lovely in its heyday, a crime its also been left to rot away.

I believe the guys opening the bar are considering a phase 2 of opening the old dining rooms as a restaurant if the bar is a success.

Brilliany news, not only for the train station, that hasn't had a bar for years now, but also for me! I love Pivo in York - just the best beers available, well priced and a great atmosphere!!! Can't wait!!!

Price will be crucial. There's a bar on Newcastle station with a great selection of ales but it's about £3.50 a pint! If the Sheffield Taps can pitch their ales round about the £2.20-£2.50 mark they should get plenty of custom but no higher.