When was Meadowhall built?

Does anyone know if the Clock Tower pub in the Oasis was open from day 1? I know it has been the Retreat and now the Steel Foundry.

They celebrated 25 years of hell last year so it's 1990

Wasn't the site where Meadowhall was built, supposed to have been a prison???

Hadfields Ltd may have "seemed" like a prison to employees like myself, who worked there, but it was not a real prison lol:)

Does anyone know if the Clock Tower pub in the Oasis was open from day 1? I know it has been the Retreat and now the Steel Foundry.

Perhaps its worth going to Meadowhall and asking them if they have any record of opening date of Clock Tower pub they may hold records of last tenants?

Has Meadowhall been there longer than crystal peaks then? & when did that open

Has Meadowhall been there longer than crystal peaks then? & when did that open

Crystal Peaks opened March 1988.

Meadowhall opened September 1990.

Yes it was the retreat when meadowhall first opened.

Spent many an hour there after work.

Used to have a quiz and "disco" nights,happy memories.

Hi everyone, I have a brochure for the commencement of works at Meadowhall dated 30 June 1988. It contains promotional info with plans and a schedule of shop unit sizes etc.

If anyone wants it you can have it, just collect from S26. PM me. First to respond gets it.

Hello each,

The story about Meadowhall being a prison is an urban myth and came about because the design is of a central hub with arms radiating out from it, technically architects call this a 'Pan optican' and the Star ran a story about the layout during its construction. Pan optican was a popular layout in the 19thC for building prisons, as one warder could, by walking around the hub, see down each arm to make sure the inmates were not getting up to no good. look it up on wiki.

KTF